Shared File Service
- CIFS/SMB access from UW campus subnets. (Can also be accessed via the VPN Service, which provides remote systems with a UW campus IP address.
- SFTP access from any internet location.
- User self-service file restores via “snapshots”
- Disaster recovery backups in two geographically separate regions (Seattle and Spokane). Per-file restores from tape are not available.
- Easy allocations of additional space as demand requires. Pricing is the same as for U Drive enlargement
- Access controlled via UW NetIDs and UW Groups
Permissions are limited to Read/Write for a single group per folder, full granular ACLs are not supported currently.
UW faculty; UW staff; UW researchers; UW clinicians; UW academic units; UW administrative units; UW Medical Center; Harborview Medical Center; requires a valid UW budget number
- Shared File Storage is sold in 'chunks' of 114GB at $0.35/GB or $39.90/chunk/month, with a 1-chunk minimum.
- Charges for each "chunk" will appear on your Technology Services & Equipment bill as a "Nebula Managed Desktop", equal to the number of storage "chunks" requested.
- File space usage will be monitored twice a year and you will be notified of billing adjustments if your usage significantly exceeds the budgeted amount.
Intended to provide low-cost storage for small storage needs. For large scale file services, please consider a separate managed server (fully managed or hosted) or lolo collaboration solution.
Instructions for set-up and management are available on our public wiki site. Assistance with these duties is provided via consulting services; email firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "SFS" in the subject line.
UW-IT responds to problem reports in one to four hours; response can be escalated if there is a critical problem. Our goal is always to minimize user downtime by responding as quickly as possible.
Front Desk: UW Tower C-3000 (4333 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Business Hours: http://uw.edu/itconnect/gethelp.html