OMA&D High School Tutor/Mentor Program
Techniques & Tips for Working with Students
• Each student is unique and different, along with each situation.
• Each student is capable of learning.
• Each student learns at a different rate and in different ways.
• Set and keep realistic yet high expectations for work and behavior.
• Never use words that shame, blame, ridicule or threaten.
• Keep your promises or don’t make them at all.
• Plant constructive ideas.
• Smile often, but be real.
• Set and keep high standards for work and behavior.
• Be yourself.
• Be polite to your students, you are the example.
• Encourage student(s) to be independent, never make comparisons.
• Use the student’s name often.
• Talk with the student about things around them, be informal and interested.
• BE PREPARED – use the resources available to you such as the library, teachers or UW staff.
• When introducing something new, move slowly.
HAVE FUN WITH YOUR STUDENT
If you are enjoying this time together, the student will too!