Washington State Nutrition & Physical Activity PlaN
Nutrition Obj. 1: Access to Health Promoting Foods
Priority Recommendation A
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2005 Food Groups to Encourage. Dietary Guidelines for Americans (6th Edition, pp 24-28), Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Ledikwe JH, Blanck HM, Kettel Khan L, Serdula MK, Seymour JD, Tohill BC, Rolls BJ. Low-energy-density diets are associated with high diet quality in adults in the United States. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:1172-1180.
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Promotion, Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity. Can Eating Fruits and Vegetables help people manage their weight? Research to Practice Series, No. 1. Accessed August 20, 2007 from: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/rtp_practitioner_10_07.pdf
- Ledikwe JH, Blanck HM, Khan LK, Serdula MK, Seymour JD, Tohill BC, Rolls BJ. Dietary energy density is associated with energy intake and weight status in US adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 83:1362-1368.
- Mendoza JA, Drewnowski A, Christakis DA. Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in US adults. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 974-979.
- Kushi LH, Byers T, Doyle C, Bandera EV, McCullough M, Gansler T, Andrews KS, Thun MJ. American Cancer Society guidelines on nutrition and physical activity for cancer prevention: Reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. CA-A Cancer J Clinic 2006;56: 254-281.
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. State of the plate: Study on America's consumption of fruits and vegetables. 2003. Wilmington, DE: Produce for Better Health Foundation.
- Guthrie JF, Lin BH, Frazao E. Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977-78 versus 1994-1996: Changes and consequences. J Nutr Ed Behav 2002; 34:140-50.
- Morland, K., Diez-Roux, A., Wing, S. Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Am J Prevent Med 2006; 30:333–339.
- Wang MC, Kim S, Gonzalez AA, MacLeod KE, Winkleby MA. Socioeconomic and food-related physical characteristics of the neighbourhood environment are associated with body mass index. J Epidemiol Commun Health 2007; 61: 491-498.
- Sallis JF, Glanz K. The role of built environments in physical activity, eating, and obesity in childhood. Future of Children 2006; 16:89-108. Available: www.futureofchidren.org.
- American Planning Association. Policy Guide on Community and Regional Food Planning. Accessed September 7, 2007. Available: http://www.planning.org/policyguides/food.htm.
- King County Food Policy Council. 2007. Available: http://king.wsu.edu/foodandfarms/foodpolicycouncil.htm. 21
WA Revised State Plan - DRAFT
- Healthy Food, Healthy Hospitals, Healthy Communities: Stories of Health Care Leaders Bring Fresher, Healthier Food Choices to their Patients, Staff and Communities. Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, 2005.
- Washington State WIC Nutrition Program. The WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program. 2007. Available: http://nutrition.wsu.edu/markets/index.html.
- Twiss J, Dickinson J, Duma S, Kleinman T, Paulsen H, Rilveria L. Community gardens: Lessons learned from California Healthy Cities and Communities. Am J Public Health 2003; 93:435-1438.
- Seymour JD, Yaroch AL, Serdula M, Blanck HM, Khan LK. Impact of nutrition environmental interventions on point-of-purchase behavior in adults: A review. Prev Med 2004; 39(suppl 2), S108–S136.
- Burton S, Creyer E, Kees J, Huggins K. Attacking the obesity epidemic: The potential health benefit of providing nutrition information in restaurants. Am J Public Health 2006; 96:1669-1675.
- Story M, Kaphingst KM, French S. The role of child care settings in obesity prevention. The Future of Children 16:143-168, 2006. Available: www.futureofchidren.org.
- Promoting good nutrition and physical activity in child-care settings. Research Brief, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, May 1007. Available: www.rwjf.org .
Priority Recommendation B
- Seymour JD, Yaroch AL, Serdula M, Blanck HM, Khan LK. Impact of nutrition environmental interventions on point-of-purchase behavior in adults: A review. Prev Med 2004; 39(suppl 2):S108–S136.
- Bergen, D., Yeh, M-C. Effects of energy-content labels and motivational posters on sales of sugar-sweetened beverages: Stimulating sales of diet drinks among adults study. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:1866-1869.
- US Surgeon General. Overweight and obesity: A vision for the future. Updated 2007. Available: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/ .
- Engbers LH, van Poppel MNM, Paw MJMCA., van Mechelen W. Worksite health promotion programs with environmental changes - A systematic review. Am J Prev Med 2005: 29: 61-70.
- French SA, Jeffery RW, Story M, Breitlow KK, Baxter JS, Hannan P, Snyder MP. Pricing and promotion effects on low-fat vending snack purchases: The CHIPS study. Am J Public Health 2001; 91:112-117.
- Hoerr SM, Louden VA. Can nutrition information increase sales of healthful vended snacks? J School Health 1993; 63:386–390.
- Washington State Department of Health. Washington State guidelines to help energize your meetings. 2007. Available: http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/NutritionPA/pdf_files/Energize-Your-Meetings.pdf
Priority Recommendation C
- Gleason P, Suitor C, and the U.S. Food and Nutrition Service. Children’s Diets in the Mid-1990s: Dietary Intake and Its Relationship with School Meal Participation, Special Nutrition Programs, Report no. CN-01-CD1. U.S. Department of Agriculture 2001.
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Prevention of Obesity in Children and Youth. Kaplah Jp, Liverman Ct, Kraak VI, eds. Preventing Childhood Obesity: Health in the Balance. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine 2004:237-284.
- American Dietetic Association. Position of the American Dietetic Association: Local Support for Nutrition Integrity in Schools. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106:122-133.
- Lin BH, Guthrie J, Frazao E. American Children’s Diets Not Making the Grade. Food Review. 2001; 2:8-17.
- Institute of Medicine Committee on Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools. Stallings VA, Yaktine AL, eds. Nutrition Standards for Foods in Schools: Leading the Way Toward Healthier Youth. Washington DC. Institute of Medicine 2007.
- Washington State Department of Health, Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and Washington State Department of Social and Health Services. 2006 Healthy Youth Survey. Available: http://www.askhys.net. Accessed November 5, 2007.
- National Farm to School. Farm to school. 2006. Urban and Environmental Policy Institute, Occidental College, CA. Available: http://www.farmtoschool.org/.
- Vallianatos M, Gottlieb R, Haase MA. Farm-to-School: Strategies for Urban Health, Combating Sprawl, and Establishing a Community Food Systems Approach. Journal of Planning Education and Research. 2004; 23:414-423.
- Evergreen State College. Evergreen’s organic farm. 2007. Available: http://www.evergreen.edu/cell/organicfarm.htm.