Washington State Nutrition & Physical Activity Plan
Nutrition Obj. 2: Reduce Food Insecurity
Nutrition Objective 2
- Household Food Security in the United States, 2005. Mark Nord, Margaret Andrews and Steven Carlson. USDA Economic Research Service, 2006.
- Nord, M., Andrews, M., & Carlson, S. (2007). Household food security in the United States, 2006 (#ERR-49). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Services.
- What Factors Account for State-to-State Differences in Food Insecurity? Judi Barfield, Rachel Dunifon, Mark Nord, Steven Carlson. USDA Economic Research Service, November 2006.
- Center on Hunger and Poverty. The Consequences of Hunger and Food Insecurity for Children: Evidence from Recent Scientific Studies. Waltham, MA: Center on Hunger and Poverty, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University, 2002.
- Hampton T. Food insecurity harms health, well-being of millions in the United States. JAMA 2007; 298:1851-1853.
- Food Research and Action Center. Health Consequences of Hunger. http://frac.org/
- Townsend MS, Peerson J, Love B, Achterberg C, Murphy SP. Food Insecurity is positively related to overweight in women. J Nutr 2001;131:1738-1745.
- Food Research and Action Center and Center on Hunger and Poverty. The Paradox of Hunger and Obesity in America. July 2003. http://www.frac.org/pdf/proceedings05.pdf
- Brown LJ, Shepard D, Martin T, Orwat J. The Economic Cost of Domestic Hunger. Estimated Annual Burden to the United States. July 2007.
- National Anti-Hunger Organizations. A Blueprint to End Hunger. June 2004. Available: http://www.bread.org/learn/us-hunger-issues/national-anti-hunger.html
Priority Recommendation A
- Food Assistance: How Strong Is the Safety Net? LeBlanc M, Lin Biing-Hwan L, Smallwood D. USDA Economic Research Service. September 2006.
- Food Research and Action Center. Child Nutrition Fact Sheet. Breakfast for Learning. http://www.frac.org/html/federal_food_programs/programs/sbp.html
- Jones SJ, Jahns L, Laraia BA, Haughton B. Lower Risk of Overweight in School-aged Food Insecure Girls Who Participate in Food Assistance. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2003; 157:780-784.
- U.S Census Bureau. Current Population Survey 2007 Annual Social and Economic Supplement. Official Poverty Tables (2006). Available: http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032007/pov/toc.htm. Accessed: 1.25.08
- Burgeson T. Child Nutrition Services Bulletin No. 014-07. Superintendent of Public Instruction, Olympia WA, 2007. Available: http://www.k12.wa.us/BulletinsMemos/bulletins2007/B014-07.doc
- Osorio D, Pittz W, Smith G. Searching for work that pays: 2007 Northwest Job Gap Study. Northwest Federation of Community Organizations. http://www.nwfco.org/496/2007-northwest-job-gap-study/
- Statewide Poverty Action Network. Accessing the American Dream: The 2007 Legislative Agenda for the Statewide Poverty Action Network. http://www.povertyaction.org/priorities/povertycausessolutions.cfm
- Cunnyngham, Karen E., Laura A. Castner and Allen L. Schirm. Reaching Those in Need: State Food Stamp Participation Rates in 2005. Prepared by Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. for the Food and Nutrition Service. October 2007.
Priority Recommendation B
- Poverty and Food Insecurity Among School-aged Children. Children’s Alliance. January 2006. http://www.childrensalliance.org/whatwedo/hunger-campaign.cfm .
- Burgeson T. Child Nutrition Services Bulletin No. 014-07. Superintendent of Public Instruction, Olympia WA, 2007. Available: http://www.k12.wa.us/BulletinsMemos/bulletins2007/B014-07.doc.
- ParentHelp123. 2007. Available: (http://www.parenthelp123.org/).
- Holben DH, Myles W. Food insecurity in the United States: Its effect on our patients. Am Family Phys, 2004; 69, 1058-1063.
- WithinReach. Family Food Hotline. 2007. Available: http://www.withinreachwa.org/hotlines.