UW Women's Center
Gender Equity and Violence Prevention
The Women’s Center strives to promote a safe environment by connecting community members with workshops, programs, and events at the University of Washington and the greater Seattle area. These services are raising awareness of violence prevention, and educating the public to eliminate gender bias.
Events and Services
These programs serve approximately 2,000 persons each year.
- “Step Up and Speak Out: Youth Violence Prevention Forum
- Education workshops and training on relationship violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
- Empowerment and protection classes
- Spring quarter film series
- Educational lectures
- Violence prevention resource center
- Self Defense 101 offered regularaly through the UW Women’s Center’s Lifelong Learning Program
- Educational forum on ending violence against women, specifically domestic and dating violence
- Several workshops offered yearly on preventing violence and promoting positive masculinity
- Endowed scholarship: Each year a UW student, who is either a survivor of domestic violence or the child of a survivor, is awarded a $2,500 scholarship entitled “The Meena Vashee Endowed Scholarship.”