Self Defense 101 Courses
Research indicates that women who successfully defended themselves quickly recognized threatening situations and enforced their boundaries, if necessary by physical means. Learn to recognize assailant ploys and manipulations — and how to thwart them. Practice releases from common grabs and decisive strikes to vital targets. Assess your risks, and plan around them. Understand the connections between awareness, threats, and our media environment.
According to RAINN (Rape Abuse and Incest National Network)
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).
- 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.
- 9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.
- While about 80% of all victims are white, minorities are somewhat more likely to be attacked.
- 64% of women who reported being raped, physically assaulted, and/or stalked since age 18 were victimized by a current or former husband, cohabiting partner, boyfriend, or date.
- In the National Violence Against Women Survey, approximately 25% of women and 8% of men said they were raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, or date in their lifetimes.
- The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experience completed or attempted rape during their college years.
- Almost two-thirds of all rapes are committed by someone who is known to the victim. 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger (— 38% of perpetrators were a friend or acquaintance of the victim, 28% were an intimate and 7% were another relative.)
- Somewhere in America a woman is battered, usually by her intimate partner, every 15 seconds.
- A study reported in the New York Times suggests that one in five adolescent girls become the victims of physical or sexual violence, or both, in a dating relationship.
Self Defense 101
Instructor: Joanne Factor
5 week course
Dates: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 to May 14, 2013
Times: 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Place: Bryants Building Room 111
Please bring $8 material fee payable to instructor on first day of class.