Family Medicine Clerkship
Click here for the 18-week WRITE Preceptor Submissions & Summary Checklist and the 22-week Preceptor Submissions & Summary Checklist which are an overview of WRITE requirements.
The UWSOM Family Medicine Clerkship is a mastery clerkship: Students are assessed on their mastery of the core skills and knowledge of Family Medicine at the end of the rotation. All WRITE students earn six weeks of Family Medicine credit and will be required to complete Family Medicine's Curriculum, including the exam. The UWSOM Department of Family Medicine Clerkship Web Site, uwfmc.org, is where you will find goals, requirements, and expectations in the FM Clerkship Syllabus: Go to "Information for Students".
Family Medicine Clerkship important dates for WRITE Students:
- Live In-person Orientation: Monday, December 9th, 2013 at 6:00 pm PST (Room & exact timeTBD)
- Required Family Medicine Orientation Webinar: Monday, January 6th, 2014 from Noon-1:00PM Pacific time
- Clinical Reasoning Webinar Session: Spring A: Monday, April 14th, 2014 from Noon-1:00PM Pacific time
- Online Final Exam: Spring A: Thursday, May 8th, 2014 from 10:00AM-12:30PM Pacific Time
WRITE Preceptor Responsibilities for FM CLERKSHIP:
- Teaching tips, student curriculum, and evaluation guidelines are available on the Department of Family Medicine web site: http://depts.washington.edu/fammed/education/courses/clerkship/info-faculty.
- In mid- to late-May, the primary preceptor is expected to complete a formal evaluation of the student using the online evaluation system, E-Value. Available on the Family Medicine, Info for Faculty Website are evaluation aids including the Feedback & Evaluation Form (Grade Anchors) which can be downloaded, printed and distributed to preceptors who worked with the student in family medicine.
- Primary preceptors can use collected responses to input student evaluation into E-Value. More information on using E-Value and a direct link into the system will be sent to the primary preceptor at the time evaluations are due.
- Grades are assigned in the Seattle office based on the scores and comments on the final evaluation from the WRITE sites.
<>Note for WRITE Regarding the Assignment Tracker and Required Feedback Sessions with Preceptor:
Students should update their Assignment Tracker at the end of every week* and schedule and actively engage in Mid/End Clerkship Reviews with FM preceptor --be sure to print out two copies of your assignment tracker to bring to each review session, ideally during the monthly written and verbal feedback sessions. During the review meetings, your preceptor will share feedback about your performance in the clerkship. Feedback may include things you did well and things that you should focus on. You are encouraged to ask questions during these meetings about the feedback if it is unclear or you need further guidance about improving your performance.
*The Family Medicine Clerkship web site is set up for the traditional 6-week clerkship. Taking into account the expanded nature of the WRITE program, it is not required that WRITE students complete at the same pace the weekly activities of the FM "Assignment Tracker," but should integrate the "weekly" requirements into their clerkship experience as it makes sense to do so, making sure to complete everything by the time of the Family Medicine exam in May.
Family Medicine Contact Information:
UW Department of Family Medicine, Clerkship Coordinator
Tel: 206-543-9425 Fax: 206-543-3821
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com