Family Medicine Clerkship
Click here for the WRITE Preceptor Submissions Summary & Checklist which is an overview of all WRITE requirements.
WRITE students earn six weeks of Family Medicine credit during the on-site portion of the program and will be required to complete Family Medicine's Curriculum. The UWSOM Department of Family Medicine Clerkship Web Site is at uwfmc.org.
Family Medicine Clerkship important dates for WRITE Students:
A complete list of goals, requirements, and expectations can be found in the FM Clerkship Syllabus located on the
FM web site: Go to "Information for Students".
- Live In-person Orientation:
- Thursday, January 17th, 2013 at 6:00PM Pacific time (E-202 Turner Conf. Room)
- Family Medicine orientation webinar (optional for WRITE students):
- Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 from 10:30 - 11:30 AM Pacific time
- Clinical Reasoning Webinar Session: Spring A:
- Thursday, April 11th, 2013 from 1:30 - 3:00PM Pacific time
- Online Final Exam: Spring A:
- Thursday, May 9th, 2013 from 12:00 - 2:30 PM Pacific time
WRITE Preceptor Responsibilities for FM CLERKSHIP:
- Teaching tips, student curriculum, and evaluation guidelines are available on the Department of Family Medicine web site: http://depts.washington.edu/fammed/education/courses/clerkship/info-faculty.
- At the end of 16 weeks at the WRITE site, the primary preceptor is expected to complete a formal evaluation of the student using the online evaluation system, E-Value. Available on the Family Medicine, Info for Faculty Website are evaluation aids (including grading criteria and anchors) as well as the FM Clinical Evaluation Form which can be downloaded, printed and distributed it to preceptors who worked with the student in family medicine.
- Primary preceptors can use collected responses to input student evaluation into E-Value. More information on using E-Value and a direct link into the system will be sent to the primary preceptor at the time evaluations are due.
Note for WRITE RE: Assignment Tracker and Required Feedback Sessions with Preceptor:
Assignment Tracker: http://depts.washington.edu/fammed/education/courses/clerkship/info
Students should update their Assignment Tracker at the end of every week* and schedule and actively engage in Mid/End Clerkship Reviews with FM preceptor --be sure to print out two copies of your assignment tracker to bring to each review session, ideally during the monthly written and verbal feedback sessions. During the review meetings, your preceptor will share feedback about your performance in the clerkship. Feedback may include things you did well and things that you should focus on. You are encouraged to ask questions during these meetings about the feedback if it is unclear or you need further guidance about improving your performance.
*The Family Medicine Clerkship web site is set up for the traditional 6-week clerkship. Taking into account the expanded nature of the WRITE program, it is not required that WRITE students complete at the same pace the weekly activities of the FM "Assignment Tracker," but should integrate the "weekly" requirements into their clerkship experience as it makes sense to do so, making sure to complete everything by the time of the Family Medicine exam in May.
Family Medicine Contact Information:
UW Department of Family Medicine, Clerkship Coordinator
Tel: 206-543-9425 Fax: 206-543-3821
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com