What We Do
Encouraging Writing Integration Across the Curriculum
The College of Arts and Sciences Writing Program has two main imperatives:
- to develop department-based initiatives to build a culture of writing throughout the College
- to coordinate the development of our writing programs across the college
Supporting Faculty and Student Writers
The Writing Program currently sponsors a number of initiatives and programs:
- Supporting Writing-Integrated Course Design and Writing in the Majors: The College of Arts and Sciences Writing Program supports faculty and TAs in the work they do in the disciplines, and this site provides resources for using writing to foster better learning in any class.
- The Odegaard Writing and Research Center: OWRC is a joint effort of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library and the College of Arts and Sciences, and provides writing and research support for students’ work in courses throughout the College. Located on the ground floor of Odegaard Library (room 121), OWRC is open Sunday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Sunday from noon to 9 p.m.
- Early Fall Start – ENGL 108: Working with the Office of Undergraduate Education, UW Professional and Continuing Education, and the English Department, the College of Arts and Sciences has developed ENGL 108 “Writing Ready: Getting a Start Writing in College" to help students better prepare themselves for the challenged of college writing.
Past initiatives of the Writing Program include: