What We Do
Encouraging Writing Integration Across the Curriculum
The College of Arts and Sciences Writing Program has two main imperatives:
- to develop department-based initiatives to build a culture of writing throughout the College
- to coordinate the development of our writing programs across the college
Supporting Faculty and Student Writers
The Writing Program currently sponsors a number of initiatives and programs:
- Supporting Writing-Integrated Course Design and Writing in the Majors: The College of Arts and Sciences Writing Program supports faculty and TAs in the work they do in the disciplines, and this site provides resources for using writing to foster better learning in any class.
- The 4x4 Initiative: This initiative involves faculty members from departments across the college who meet to discuss writing intergration and workshop writing assignments for their courses.
- The Odegaard Writing and Research Center: This new center is a joint effort of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library and the College of Arts and Sciences and provides writing and research support for students’ work in courses throughout the College. Located on the 3rd floor of the Odegaard Library, the new Center is open from Sunday-Thursday from 1:30-6p and 7-9p.
- Early Fall Start – GIS 140: Working with the Office of Undergraduate Education, UW Extension, and the English Department, the College of Arts and Sciences has developed GIS 140 “Writing Ready: Getting a Start Writing in College" to help students better prepare themselves for the challenged of college writing.
For more information about who we are and what we do, please contact us.