Welcome to lesbianSTD.com!
Our goal is to provide information and resources regarding sexual health and sexually transmitted diseases in women who have sex with women and to further our collective knowledge about lesbian STDs through research. Jeanne Marrazzo, MD, MPH, oversees the production of lesbianSTD.com.
Dr. Marrazzo is Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) at the University of Washington in Seattle, and also directs the Seattle STD/HIV Prevention and Training Center. Kathy Ringwood, LICSW, is a clinical social worker who manages the Vaginal Health Project and other studies at HMC Infectious Diseases Research Clinic. Kathy has a longstanding interest in lesbian health and mental health, and also works in the community as a mental health practitioner. Nancy Dorn, MN, ARNP, is a advanced registered nurse practitioner. She has worked at the HMC Women's Research Clinic since its inception in 1998.
Web site features include:
- Overview of STDs and their transmission between women
- Question & Answer forum where you get your questions answered. We try to update this frequently.
- An archive of previous questions & answers.
- Listing of lesbian health research studies currently open for enrollment.
- Research data from our current studies. This is updated periodically as the data is analyzed.
- Bibliography and links to other relevant sites
A new Fenway Institute analysis finds that lesbians and bisexual women lag behind heterosexual women in receiving adequate cervical cancer screenings, despite being equally at risk for cervical cancer. More details for women and their providers here: http://www.fenwayhealth.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8881