Nancy S. Jecker, PhD
Director of Graduate Studies
Office: A-204J Health Sciences Building
Publications | Courses | Curriculum
Nancy S. Jecker received Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in philosophy from Stanford University and received a second Master’s and Ph.D. degrees in philosophy from the University of Washington, Seattle. She is currently a Professor at the University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Bioethics and Humanities, and holds adjunct appointments in the Department of Philosophy, School of Law, and Department of Global Health.
Dr. Jecker’s research focuses on justice, resource allocation, intergenerational relationships, medical futility, individual and population aging, dignity, global bioethics, and personal identity across time. Prof. Jecker has published over 175 articles and 3 books on philosophy and bioethics. She is currently completing a 4th book, tentatively titled New Values for Old Age: Ending Midlife Bias (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming), which explores global population aging and the life stage relativity of values.
Dr. Jecker has traveled extensively throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East. During 2017- 2018 she was a Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Fellow (2018), Visiting Professor at the National University of Singapore (2018); Visiting Professor at the University of Johannesburg (2018) and Visiting Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (2017). Dr. Jecker has shared her research with colleagues at National Taiwan University, The Israeli Ministry of Health, Tokyo Metropolitan Gerontology Institute, and Kyoto University Center for Applied and Professional Ethics. She was appointed to a three-year Visiting Professorship at the University of Johannesburg African Center for Epistemology and Philosophy of Science.
Dr. Jecker serves on the board of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications (selected):
- Jecker, NS, Forthcoming. Ending Midlife Bias: New Values for Old Age. Oxford University Press.
- Schneiderman LJ, Jecker NS, 2015 (Chinese Translation), 2011 (2nd edition), and 1995 (1st edition). Wrong Medicine: Doctors, Patients, and Futile Treatment, Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Jecker NS, Jonsen AR, Pearlman RA, editors, 2011 (3rd edition), 2007 (2nd edition), and 1997 (1st edition). Bioethics: An Introduction to the History, Methods, and Practice, Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Jecker NS, 2018. Age-Related Inequalities in Health and Healthcare: The Life Stages Approach. Developing World Bioethics 18: 144-155.
- Jecker NS, Wightman AG, Rosenberg AR, Diekema DS, 2018. “Fairly Allocating Space in an Immunotherapy Production Facility: Reply to Critics.” American Journal of Bioethics 18(5): W9-W12.
- Jecker NS, Wightman AG, Rosenberg AR, Diekema DS, 2018. “Ethical Guidance for Selecting Clinical Trials to Receive Limited Space in an Immunotherapy Production Facility.” American Journal of Bioethics 18(4): 55-64.
- Schneiderman LJ, Jecker NS, Jonsen AR, 2017. “The Abuse of Futility.” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 60(3): 295-313.
- Jecker NS, Ko AL, 2017. “Is that the Same Person? Case Studies in Neurosurgery.” AJOB Neuroscience 8(3): 160-170.
- Jecker NS, Wightman AG, Rosenberg AR, Diekema DS, 2017. “From Protection to Entitlement: Selecting Research Subjects for Early Phase Clinical Trials Involving Breakthrough Therapies.” Journal of Medical Ethics 43: 391-400.
- Jecker NS, Derse AR, 2017. “When Not to Rescue: An Ethical Analysis of Best Practices for CPR and Emergency Cardiac Care” Journal of Clinical Ethics 28(1): 44-56.
- Jecker NS, 2017. “Doing What We Shouldn’t: Medical Futility and Moral Distress” American Journal of Bioethics 17(2): 41-43.
- Jecker NS, 2016. “Advance Care Planning: What Gives Prior Wishes Normative Force?” Asian Bioethics Review 8(3): 195-210, Special issue on “Dying Well,” B Steinbock, P Menzel, eds
- Brown CE, Jecker NS, Curtis JR, 2016. “Inadequate Palliative Care in Chronic Lung Disease: An Issue of Healthcare Inequality” Annals of the American Thoracic Society 13(3):311-316, DOI: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201510-666PS.
- Jecker NS, 2015. “Futility and Fairness: A Defense of the Texas Advance Directive Law” American Journal of Bioethics 15(8); 2015: 43-46. DOI: 10.1080/15265161.2015.1045101.
- Jecker NS, Dudzinski D, Diekema D, Tonelli M, 2015. “Ebola Virus Disease: Ethics and Emergency Medical Response Policy.” CHEST: American College of Chest Physicians 148(3): 794-800, DOI: 10.1378/chest.15-0135.
- Jecker NS, 2015. “Rethinking Rescue Medicine. “American Journal of Bioethics 15(2): 1- 7.
- Jecker NS, 2014. “Selling Ourselves: The Ethics of Paid Living Kidney Donation.” American Journal of Bioethics 14(10): 1-6.
- Jecker NS, 2014. “Against A Duty to Die.” Virtual Mentor: American Medical Association Journal of Ethics 16(5): 390-394.
- Jecker NS, 2013. “Justice Between Age Groups: An Objection to the Prudential Lifespan Approach.’” American Journal of Bioethics, 13(8): 3-15.
- Jecker NS, 2013. “The Problem with Rescue Medicine.” The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 38(1): 64-81.