I am director of the UW Structural Informatics Group, an interdisciplinary team of computer scientists, biomedical informaticists, and biologists. Goals of the group are 1) to develop methods for representing both spatial and symbolic information about the physical organization of the body, at levels ranging from macroscopic anatomy to molecules, and 2) to develop Web-accessible computer applications that utilize these representations to solve practical problems in clinical medicine, research and education. SIG is housed in the Department of Biological Structure, with close affiliations with Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education, and Computer Science and Engineering.
The rationale for a group in structural informatics is that structure is the foundation for understanding in biology. Therefore, if we can develop methods for representing and organizing information about structure, we will be in a position to not only manage the vast amount of structural information (e.g., images, sequences, 3-D models), but also to develop a structural information framework that can form the basis for organizing much of the data and knowledge in biomedicine.
Publications [from PubMed]
- Mejino JL, Detwiler LT, Cox TC, Brinkley JFCEUR workshop proceedings. 2016 Aug; 1747 :
- Brinkley JF, Fisher S, Harris MP, Holmes G, Hooper JE, Jabs EW, Jones KL, Kesselman C, Klein OD, Maas RL, Marazita ML, Selleri L, Spritz RA, van Bakel H, Visel A, Williams TJ, Wysocka J, , Chai YDevelopment (Cambridge, England). 2016 07; 143 14: 2677-88
- Detwiler LT, Mejino JLV, Brinkley JFArtificial intelligence in medicine. 2016 05; 69 : 12-21
- Ontology-based image navigation: exploring 3.0-T MR neurography of the brachial plexus using AIM and RadLex.Wang KC, Salunkhe AR, Morrison JJ, Lee PP, Mejino JL, Detwiler LT, Brinkley JF, Siegel EL, Rubin DL, Carrino JARadiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. ; 35 1: 142-51
- Wang KH, Heike CL, Clarkson MD, Mejino JL, Brinkley JF, Tse RW, Birgfeld CB, Fitzsimons DA, Cox TCFrontiers in physiology. 2014 ; 5 : 163
- Nichols BN, Mejino JL, Detwiler LT, Nilsen TT, Martone ME, Turner JA, Rubin DL, Brinkley JFJournal of biomedical semantics. 2014 Jan; 5 1: 1
- Towards understanding craniofacial abnormalities: the ontology of craniofacial development and malformation.Brinkley JF, Mejino JL, Detwiler LT, Travillian RS, Clarkson M, Cox T, Heike C, Cunningham M, Hochheiser H, Shapiro LGAMIA Joint Summits on Translational Science proceedings. AMIA Joint Summits on Translational Science. 2013 ; 2013 : 20
- Brinkley JF, Borromeo C, Clarkson M, Cox TC, Cunningham MJ, Detwiler LT, Heike CL, Hochheiser H, Mejino JL, Travillian RS, Shapiro LGAmerican journal of medical genetics. Part C, Seminars in medical genetics. 2013 Nov; 163C 4: 232-45
- Mejino JL, Travillian RS, Cox TC, Shapiro LG, Brinkley JFCEUR workshop proceedings. 2013 Jul; 1060 : 74-77
- Puget A, Mejino JL, Detwiler LT, Franklin JD, Brinkley JFMethods of information in medicine. 2012 ; 51 6: 463-78; discussion 479-88