- Upcoming deadlines: December 14, 2016; December 14, 2017; and November 7, 2018
- Only low- or middle-income country (LMIC) institutions are eligible.
- Income categories are defined by The World Bank Country and Lending Groups.
- Candidates must be LMIC citizens.
- Candidates must hold an academic junior faculty position or research scientist appointment at the LMIC applicant institution and must have been in this position for at least one year at the time the application is submitted.
- Candidates are required to have both U.S. and LMIC primary mentors.
- Research should take place primarily in the LMIC.
- Individuals who have already received independent research funding are not eligible.
- Applicants should demonstrate that they are committed to an independent research career and justify the need for three to five years of mentored research experience in order to become an independent research scientist.
- View full eligibility details in the program announcement and refer to FAQs.
The Fogarty Emerging Global Leader Award aims to provide research support and protected time to a research scientist from a LMIC who holds an academic junior faculty position or research scientist appointment at an LMIC academic or research institution. Low-income, lower-middle-income and upper-middle-income countries are included.
Applications are invited from LMIC research scientists from any health-related discipline who propose both critically needed career development activities and a research project that is highly relevant to the health priorities of their country.
For more information, visit the funding opportunity website here.