Billing for injuries sustained during training are not always reimbursed by the health fee. WHY? Do I have to receive my health care at Hall Health??


Health Science students are not considered employees while they are engaging in education-related activities at clinical sites. Should injury (for example, trips and falls) or exposure to illness (for example, meningitis) occur during a clinical rotation, insurance coverage, either via a family member or a policy such as the UW International Student Insurance Plan (ISHIP), the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP), or a Marketplace health plan may cover the care you may need that is not covered by the Health Fee’s blood borne pathogen program.

UW-Seattle students who pay the quarterly Services & Activities Fee along with their tuition receive some services at Hall Health Center, the student health center on the Seattle Campus. These include consulting nurse visits, reproductive health counseling, access to a wellness resource center, limited crisis intervention counseling, and one visit per quarter for acute illness/injury (excludes routine physicals and annual women's exams).

Fees are charged for preventive care visits (such as routine physicals and annual exams), follow-up visits, and specialty services including Mental Health, Nutrition Services, Physical Therapy, Travel Clinic, lab, x-rays etc.

Hall Health is open to non-students as well, and services are covered by many health and insurance plans according to contracted benefits. Hall Health's website includes information about the Affordable Care Act, obtaining insurance, and the specific plans that are accepted there.

UW students who are not on the Seattle campus may have access to services at an affiliated student health center if they are currently attending classes on another campus. Check with your campus' facility to find out what services may be available to you. The Health Care Resources page of this website offers information and links to clinics and pharmacies that are available to the general public in many of the communities where UW students are located.

Please note that if you choose to receive care at Hall Health or any other clinic/provider's office, such as immunizations, TB screening, or titers (lab tests), you will need to obtain your HIPAA-protected records showing documentation of any service received and submit it to HSIP. This will allow you to maintain your compliance with HSIP requirements and avoid a registration hold.