Directions for Residents
Off-campus access to UW restricted online resources is mediated by a system known as a “proxy”.
How do I use the library from Off-campus?
- Go to the Health Sciences Library (HSL) website. Note that Clinical information resources are gathered on the HSL Care Provider Toolkit and the mobile resources guide.
- Most e-journals, ebooks and databases are restricted to current UW students, faculty and staff (including FMRN residents). Simply click on the resource that you want, and you will be prompted for your UW NetID and password when it is needed.
- If you log in successfully, you will be redirected to your resource and will see “offcampus.lib.washington.edu” within the address bar.
Using PubMed to access full text articles
- Before using PubMed search boxes on the HSL site from off-campus, login at the link indicated above the search box.
- Follow purple UW buttons to access full text. For more information: http://hsl.uw.edu/topics/pubmed-help
Ordering copies of articles
FMRN residents are eligible to use the UW Libraries Document Delivery Services to order pdf scans of articles not available online. To be able to use the service, you must set up a library account. Contact UW Libraries Account Services, M-F 9am-5pm PST at 206-543-1174. State that you are a “medical resident” and would like a library account. Once your account has been created, you will be able to order copies of articles using your UW NetID. Click on Order Articles from the hsl.uw.edu/ home page, or click the “Articles (1-2 days)” link when following purple UW full text icons purple UW full text icons in PubMed.
How do I get assistance?
- Problems with a forgotten password (for those who once had a UW NetID)
- Reset your password online or call UW Computing at 206-221-5000
- Problems with the UWNetID form
- Call UW Computing at (206) 543-5970 – email@example.com be sure to identify yourself as a UW medical resident
- Questions about libraries content, resources & access
- Sarah Safranek, Information Management Librarian phone: (206) 543-3408
- Additional help with UW NetIDs and Network online resources
- Molly Ormsby or Tiffany Jones or call the general Network line at (206) 685-1856