The mission of the inpatient Palliative Care Service is to improve the quality of care and hospital experience for UWMC patients and families living with serious illness by educating and collaborating with health care professionals to provide the best possible patient and family centered care to the patients we serve.
Philosophy & Education
Our palliative care program uses a narrative approach, believing that patient values and needs are best understood after eliciting the patient story and clarifying the patient’s understanding of their illness and situation, asking what is most important and worrisome to them, and how we can be most helpful to them in navigating their medical, emotional and spiritual journey, together with their families and important others in their lives.
- Fellows: Palliative Care and Geriatrics
- Residents: Medical and Clinical Pastoral Education
- Students: Medical, Advance Nurse Practitioner, Social Work, Pharmacy, and Physician Assistant
- We mentor learners on both our team and the primary team.
- Support for learners through Life and Death Rounds