Phone: (206) 685-4799
AboutCardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading cause of death and disability in the U.S., and an emerging epidemic in developing countries worldwide. Researchers across our department are developing and testing strategies to decrease CVD risk factors, examining adherence to contraceptive guidelines for women with CVD, and screening athletes for risk of sudden cardiac death.
Blood pressure kiosks: Implementation of a Self-Service Blood Pressure Kiosk in a Primary Care Clinic.
Center for Sports Cardiology: multiple studies on surveillance, diagnosis and the prevention of sudden cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death in young athletes.
MESA: We are associated with the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis, an ongoing longitudinal cohort initiated in 2000 to investigate risk factors for subclinical CVD. Participants include 6814 adults age 45-84 years at baseline of four racial/ethnic categories, White, Black, Hispanic and Chinese, at six US clinical sites.
- Onakpoya I, O'Sullivan J, Heneghan C, Thompson M. The effect of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi) on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. Feb 2017
- von Winckelmann K, Renier W, Thompson M, Buntinx F. The frequency and outcome of acute dyspnoea in primary care: An observational study.. Eur J Gen Pract. Dec 2016
- Chung CF, Munson SA, Thompson MJ, Baldwin LM, Kaplan J, Cline R, Green BB. Implementation of a New Kiosk Technology for Blood Pressure Management in a Family Medicine Clinic: from the WWAMI Region Practice and Research Network.. J Am Board Fam Med.
- Harmon KG, Drezner JA. Cardiovascular screening for young athletes.. JAMA. Apr 2015
- Asif IM, Price D, Harmon KG, Salerno JC, Rao AL, Drezner JA. The Psychological Impact of Cardiovascular Screening in Young Athletes: Perspectives Across Age, Race, and Gender.. Clin J Sport Med. Nov 2015
- Fudge J, Harmon KG, Owens DS, Prutkin JM, Salerno JC, Asif IM, Haruta A, Pelto H, Rao AL, Toresdahl BG, Drezner JA. Cardiovascular screening in adolescents and young adults: a prospective study comparing the Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Monograph 4th Edition and ECG.. Br J Sports Med. Aug 2014
- Asif IM, Johnson S, Schmieg J, Smith T, Rao AL, Harmon KG, Salerno JC, Drezner JA. The psychological impact of cardiovascular screening: the athlete's perspective.. Br J Sports Med. Aug 2014
- Drezner JA, Ashley E, Baggish AL, Börjesson M, Corrado D, Owens DS, Patel A, Pelliccia A, Vetter VL, Ackerman MJ, Anderson J, Asplund CA, Cannon BC, DiFiori J, Fischbach P, Froelicher V, Harmon KG, Heidbuchel H, Marek J, Paul S, Prutkin JM, Salerno JC, Schmied CM, Sharma S, Stein R, Wilson M. Abnormal electrocardiographic findings in athletes: recognising changes suggestive of cardiomyopathy.. Br J Sports Med. Feb 2013
- Friedemann C, Heneghan C, Mahtani K, Thompson M, Perera R, Ward AM. Cardiovascular disease risk in healthy children and its association with body mass index: systematic review and meta-analysis.. BMJ. Sep 2012
- Meyer L, Stubbs B, Fahrenbruch C, Maeda C, Harmon K, Eisenberg M, Drezner J. Incidence, causes, and survival trends from cardiovascular-related sudden cardiac arrest in children and young adults 0 to 35 years of age: a 30-year review.. Circulation. Sep 2012