Phone: (206) 616-8149
AboutWe have significant expertise in research to improve the diagnosis of serious illness in children in primary care settings, including infections, leukemia, and diabetes. A current focus is on improving the use of vital signs in children. Acute infections are a huge component of the workload in Family Medicine, and we are completing several large cohort studies to improve diagnosis and risk stratification of children and adults with respiratory infections, trials of corticosteroids for acute cough and sore throat, and new point of care tests to help guide antibiotic use.
Point of Care CRP tests: Acceptability and feasibility of using a point of care test for C-reactive protein in Family Medicine clinics in Washington, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana
Novel diagnostics for infection: Development of new lateral flow assays for infections in primary care
TARGET: Cohort study of 8,000 children to develop better risk predictors of hospitalization in children presenting to primary care with acute cough.
Cough Complications Cohort: A study of 30,000 adults and children with acute respiratory symptoms to derive prognostic scores for guiding antibiotic use.
- Hardy V, Thompson M, Alto W, Keppel GA, Hornecker J, Linares A, Robitaille B, Baldwin LM. Exploring the barriers and facilitators to use of point of care tests in family medicine clinics in the United States.. BMC Fam Pract. 11 2016
- Hay AD, Redmond NM, Turnbull S, Christensen H, Thornton H, Little P, Thompson M, Delaney B, Lovering AM, Muir P, Leeming JP, Vipond B, Stuart B, Peters TJ, Blair PS. Development and internal validation of a clinical rule to improve antibiotic use in children presenting to primary care with acute respiratory tract infection and cough: a prognostic cohort study.. Lancet Respir Med. 11 2016
- Fleming S, Gill PJ, Van den Bruel A, Thompson M. Capillary refill time in sick children: a clinical guide for general practice.. Br J Gen Pract. Nov 2016
- Clarke RT, Van den Bruel A, Bankhead C, Mitchell CD, Phillips B, Thompson MJ. Clinical presentation of childhood leukaemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Arch. Dis. Child.. Oct 2016
- Heneghan CJ, Onakpoya I, Jones MA, Doshi P, Del Mar CB, Hama R, Thompson MJ, Spencer EA, Mahtani KR, Nunan D, Howick J, Jefferson T. Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza: a systematic review and meta-analysis of regulatory and mortality data.. Health Technol Assess. 05 2016
- Neill S, Roland D, Thompson M, Bayes N, Mullins L, Lakhanpaul M. OC26 - Parents of young children in research: informants, consultants and collaborators.. Nurs Child Young People. May 2016
- O'Kane JW. Is Heading in Youth Soccer Dangerous Play?. Phys Sportsmed. 2016
- Harmon KG, Drezner JA. Cardiovascular screening for young athletes.. JAMA. Apr 2015
- Friedemann C, Heneghan C, Mahtani K, Thompson M, Perera R, Ward AM. Cardiovascular disease risk in healthy children and its association with body mass index: systematic review and meta-analysis.. BMJ. Sep 2012
- Meyer L, Stubbs B, Fahrenbruch C, Maeda C, Harmon K, Eisenberg M, Drezner J. Incidence, causes, and survival trends from cardiovascular-related sudden cardiac arrest in children and young adults 0 to 35 years of age: a 30-year review.. Circulation. Sep 2012