Phone: (206) 616-8149
AboutCountries with strong primary care systems typically have better health outcomes. Our research group is working across a number of areas of key importance to improve the provision of primary care in low and middle-income countries globally. This includes conducting research on non-communicable diseases such as hypertension and diabetes, helping to implement smoking cessation services in Asia, improving recognition of children with acute illness in sub-Saharan Africa, and assessing quality of primary care delivered.
Diabetes in Cambodia: Improving the diagnosis of diabetes with low cost diagnostics
Supporting LIFE: Feasibility of mHealth decision support tools for health workers in Malawi
Vital signs: Systematically assessing the diagnostic value of vital signs in children in low and middle income countries, and developing new low cost sensors.
Dhulikhel Heart Study: A prospective longitudinal cohort study to evaluate risk factors for CVD in the adult residents of Dhulikhel, Nepal. Baseline data collection is underway with plans for 20 years of follow-up.
International Quitline Institute: Initiative to train tobacco cessation workers in Low- and Middle Income Countries
Stroke in Vietnam: We conducted a surveillance of risk factors for stroke in Da Nang, Vietham, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, and developed a stroke registry at Da Nang Hospital.
- Singh H, Schiff GD, Graber ML, Onakpoya I, Thompson MJ. The global burden of diagnostic errors in primary care.. BMJ Qual Saf. Jun 2017
- Thompson M, Walter F. Increases in general practice workload in England.. Lancet. Jun 2016
- Turner PJ, Van den Bruel A, Jones CH, Plüddemann A, Heneghan C, Thompson MJ, Price CP, Howick J. Point-of-care testing in UK primary care: a survey to establish clinical needs.. Fam Pract. 08 2016
- Van den Bruel A, Jones C, Thompson M, Mant D. C-reactive protein point-of-care testing in acutely ill children: a mixed methods study in primary care.. Arch. Dis. Child.. Apr 2016
- Hodkinson P, Argent A, Wallis L, Reid S, Perera R, Harrison S, Thompson M, English M, Maconochie I, Ward A. Pathways to Care for Critically Ill or Injured Children: A Cohort Study from First Presentation to Healthcare Services through to Admission to Intensive Care or Death.. PLoS ONE. 2016
- Neill S, Roland D, Jones CH, Thompson M, Lakhanpaul M, . Information resources to aid parental decision-making on when to seek medical care for their acutely sick child: a narrative systematic review.. BMJ Open. Dec 2015
- Goyder CR, Jones CH, Heneghan CJ, Thompson MJ. Missed opportunities for diagnosis: lessons learned from diagnostic errors in primary care.. Br J Gen Pract. Dec 2015
- Onakpoya IJ, Spencer EA, Thompson MJ, Heneghan CJ. Effectiveness, safety and costs of orphan drugs: an evidence-based review.. BMJ Open. Jun 2015
- Gill PJ, Thompson MJ. Child health care in general practice: priorities for education and practice.. Br J Gen Pract. Apr 2015
- Usher-Smith JA, Thompson MJ, Zhu H, Sharp SJ, Walter FM. The pathway to diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children: a questionnaire study.. BMJ Open. Mar 2015