Phone: (206) 616-9657
AboutThe health workforce is the backbone of any health care delivery system. Our research group houses three federally funded centers conducting quality research necessary to develop a strong and quality health workforce in the US: 1) Center for Health Workforce Studies (CHWS), 2) WWAMI Rural Health Research Center (WWAMI RHRC), and 3) the Collaborative for Rural Primary care Research, Education, and Practice (Rural PREP). In addition, our group conducts collaborative research with other organizations across the nation on topics such as enhancing primary care training, workforce shortages, models of team-based care, allied health professions, and behavioral health workforce. Our group also provides technical assistance to assist governmental agencies with workforce planning.
Health Workforce Research Center: Current projects include i) Characteristics of Physician Assistant Students Planning to Work in Primary Care, ii) Characteristics of Veterans in Allied Health Care Jobs, iii) Pathways for Military Veterans to Enter Allied Health Careers, iv) The Workforce Needed to Integrate Behavioral/Mental Health Workforce with Primary Care, v) Impacts of Greater Use of Low Skilled, Low-wage Workers in Health Care Delivery
State Workforce Planning Technical Assistance for the National Governors Association
Health Care Cost Institute State Health Policy Program: study on unrestricted access to physical therapy on health spending
National Family Medicine Residency Graduate Follow-up Survey
- Evans DV, Patterson DG, A Andrilla CH, Schmitz D, Longenecker R. Do Residencies That Aim to Produce Rural Family Physicians Offer Relevant Training?. Fam Med. Sep 2016
- Kaplan L, Klein T, Skillman S, Andrilla CH. Faculty supervision of NP program practicums: A comparison of rural and urban site differences.. Nurse Pract. Jun 2016
- Spetz J, Skillman SM, Andrilla CHA. Nurse Practitioner Autonomy and Satisfaction in Rural Settings.. Med Care Res Rev. 04 2017
- Kost A, Cawse-Lucas J, Evans DV, Overstreet F, Andrilla CH, Dobie S. Medical Student Participation in Family Medicine Department Extracurricular Experiences and Choosing to Become a Family Physician.. Fam Med.
- Skillman SM, Andrilla CH, Patterson DG, Fenton SH, Ostergard SJ. Health information technology workforce needs of rural primary care practices.. J Rural Health. 2015
- Doescher MP, Andrilla CH, Skillman SM, Morgan P, Kaplan L. The contribution of physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners toward rural primary care: findings from a 13-state survey.. Med Care. Jun 2014
- Allen SM, Ballweg RA, Cosgrove EM, Engle KA, Robinson LR, Rosenblatt RA, Skillman SM, Wenrich MD. Challenges and opportunities in building a sustainable rural primary care workforce in alignment with the Affordable Care Act: the WWAMI program as a case study.. Acad Med. Dec 2013
- Skillman SM, Doescher MP, Mouradian WE, Brunson DK. The challenge to delivering oral health services in rural America.. J Public Health Dent. Jun 2010
- Skillman SM, Palazzo L, Hart LG, Keepnews D. The characteristics of registered nurses whose licenses expire: why they leave nursing and implications for retention and re-entry.. Nurs Econ.
- Skillman SM, Andrilla CH, Patterson DG, Tieman L, Doescher MP. The licensed practical nurse workforce in the United States: one state's experience.. Cah Sociol Demogr Med.