Phone: (206) 543-9425
The University of Washington Family Medicine Medical Student Education Section develops and delivers innovative, high-quality training to medical students who will serve the evolving needs of the diverse individuals, families, and communities of the WWAMI region.
Our mission is to encourage and develop students who will serve rural communities, the urban underserved and other vulnerable populations. We recognize health as a matter of social justice. All individuals, families and communities have a right to health and access to medical care.
Family medicine is the foundation of health care for all, providing patient care that is patient-centered and evidence-based. We believe family medicine is a foundation for the development of all physicians. We value education that is innovative, relationship-centered and community-based, emphasizing population health, community engagement, service learning and continuous quality improvement. We value inter-professional and inter-disciplinary collaboration that promotes teamwork, professionalism and respectful treatment of students, patients and colleagues. We embrace diversity among our students, staff and faculty and support professional and personal development for all.
The Productivity Study Project
Contact: Tomoko Sairenji
Contact: Bill Phillips
- Cawse-Lucas J, Evans DV, Ruiz DR, Allcut EA, Andrilla CH, Thompson M, Norris TE. Impact of the Primary Care Exception on Family Medicine Resident Coding.. Fam Med. Mar 2016
- Kost A, Cawse-Lucas J, Evans DV, Overstreet F, Andrilla CH, Dobie S. Medical Student Participation in Family Medicine Department Extracurricular Experiences and Choosing to Become a Family Physician.. Fam Med.
- Gill PJ, Thompson MJ. Child health care in general practice: priorities for education and practice.. Br J Gen Pract. Apr 2015
- Balla JI, Heneghan C, Glasziou P, Thompson M, Balla ME. A model for reflection for good clinical practice.. J Eval Clin Pract. Dec 2009
- Patterson DG, Baldwin LM, Olsen PM. Supports and obstacles in the medical school application process for American Indians and Alaska Natives.. J Health Care Poor Underserved. May 2009
- Heneghan C, Glasziou P, Thompson M, Rose P, Balla J, Lasserson D, Scott C, Perera R. Diagnostic strategies used in primary care.. BMJ. Apr 2009
- Thompson MJ, Harnden A, Del Mar C. Excluding serious illness in feverish children in primary care: restricted rule-out method for diagnosis.. BMJ. Apr 2009
- Thompson MJ, Skillman SM, Schneeweiss R, Hart LG, Johnson K, . The University of Washington Pacific Islands Continuing Clinical Education Program (PICCEP): Guam Conference on structure and content of continuing clinical education programs in the U.S.-associated jurisdictions.. Pac Health Dialog. Mar 2002
- Thompson MJ, Skillman SM, Johnson K, Schneeweiss R, Ellsbury K, Hart LG, . Assessing physicians' continuing medical education (CME) needs in the U.S.-associated Pacific jurisdictions.. Pac Health Dialog. Mar 2002
- Thompson MJ, Huntington MK, Hunt DD, Pinsky LE, Brodie JJ. Educational effects of international health electives on U.S. and Canadian medical students and residents: a literature review.. Acad Med. Mar 2003
Washington Academy of Family Physicians
Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Idaho Academy of Family Physicians
WWAMI Area Health Education Centers
WWAMI Medical Education Campuses
Department of Family Medicine Clinical Faculty
WWAMI Clinical Teaching Sites