Phone: (206) 616-8149
AboutWe are engaged in numerous research activities around the design, development, testing and implementation of new technologies and innovations in primary care. This includes using mobile phones and text messaging for improving health care, exploring the use of point of care diagnostic tests that can offer "one stop" care without the need for waiting for test results, testing and implementing new electronic devices to diagnose and monitor blood pressure in clinic waiting rooms or at home, and developing data sharing infrastructure to support quality improvement and research using electronic health record data. We work closely with experts from industry, UW research labs, and primary care clinics in Seattle and across the WWAMI region.
Please view the Primary Care Innovations Lab section for further information on current projects.
mHealth: Measuring primary care patients’ use of mobile health technologies
Lifelog: Assessing patient and primary care provider preferences for sharing mobile health data
Blood pressure kiosks: Implementation of a Self-Service Blood Pressure Kiosk in a Primary Care Clinic.
POCKET study: evaluating the current use and implementation of point of care tests in Family Medicine clinics in the WWAMI region.
Novel diagnostics for infection: Developing new lateral flow assays for infections in primary care
Vital signs: Developing new methods to measure capillary refill time to diagnose shock in children
Data QUEST: Aligning de-identified electronic health record data from a subset of diverse practices in Washington and Idaho to support research and quality improvement
Patient Preferences for Weight Loss in Primary Care: Measures the degree to which overweight and obese patients in primary care report willingness to participate in comprehensive weight loss programs.
Supporting LIFE: Feasibility of an android-phone based decision support tool for health workers in Malawi
Handheld Ultrasound: Establishing priorities for training and testing of handheld ultrasound devices in Family Medicine clinics.
- Hardy V, Thompson M, Alto W, Keppel GA, Hornecker J, Linares A, Robitaille B, Baldwin LM. Exploring the barriers and facilitators to use of point of care tests in family medicine clinics in the United States.. BMC Fam Pract. 11 2016
- Hay AD, Redmond NM, Turnbull S, Christensen H, Thornton H, Little P, Thompson M, Delaney B, Lovering AM, Muir P, Leeming JP, Vipond B, Stuart B, Peters TJ, Blair PS. Development and internal validation of a clinical rule to improve antibiotic use in children presenting to primary care with acute respiratory tract infection and cough: a prognostic cohort study.. Lancet Respir Med. Nov 2016
- Chung CF, Munson SA, Thompson MJ, Baldwin LM, Kaplan J, Cline R, Green BB. Implementation of a New Kiosk Technology for Blood Pressure Management in a Family Medicine Clinic: from the WWAMI Region Practice and Research Network.. J Am Board Fam Med.
- Thompson M, Weigl B, Fitzpatrick A, Ide N. More Than Just Accuracy: A Novel Method to Incorporate Multiple Test Attributes in Evaluating Diagnostic Tests Including Point of Care Tests.. IEEE J Transl Eng Health Med. 2016
- Turner PJ, Van den Bruel A, Jones CH, Plüddemann A, Heneghan C, Thompson MJ, Price CP, Howick J. Point-of-care testing in UK primary care: a survey to establish clinical needs.. Fam Pract. Aug 2016
- Borysiak MD, Thompson MJ, Posner JD. Translating diagnostic assays from the laboratory to the clinic: analytical and clinical metrics for device development and evaluation.. Lab Chip. Apr 2016
- Van den Bruel A, Jones C, Thompson M, Mant D. C-reactive protein point-of-care testing in acutely ill children: a mixed methods study in primary care.. Arch. Dis. Child.. Apr 2016
- Shah SA, Fleming S, Thompson M, Tarassenko L. Respiratory rate estimation during triage of children in hospitals.. J Med Eng Technol. 2015
- Nunan D, Thompson M, Heneghan CJ, Perera R, McManus RJ, Ward A. Accuracy of self-monitored blood pressure for diagnosing hypertension in primary care.. J. Hypertens.. Apr 2015
- Nicholson BD, Thompson M, Price CP, Heneghan C, Plüddemann A. Home-use faecal immunochemical testing: primary care diagnostic technology update.. Br J Gen Pract. Mar 2015