January 18, 2019
UW 2019 Huskies on the Hill
Join GPSS for our annual Huskies on the Hill trip to the capitol to lobby our state legislators on higher education issues! Whether you are an experienced student activist or just someone who is concerned about lack of state funding and graduate student resources, we would love to have you join us! Graduate students must RSVP here by January 28th.
Participants will be trained prior to the event, so no prior experience with lobbying or legislative issues is necessary. This year, we are primarily advocating for the following issues: expansion of graduate student state loan programs, access to mental health resources, improved training and reporting tools for sexual assault, and student health insurance access. Further information about each of our four legislative priorities, as well as support and access statements, can be seen below.
For the first time this year, we will also be hosting a research symposium for current graduate students to present their research to state legislators. This will be a great opportunity both for students to gain experience presenting their research to public audiences, but also to show our state legislators the great work that University of Washington graduate students do!
Come help us make graduate student voices heard!
- January 18: Legislative Town Hall
- 2:30 – 4:30pm, HUB Lyceum
- Food and drinks will be provided
- Note that this event is not mandatory for participation in Huskies on the Hill lobby day, but this will be a great opportunity to learn more about our legislative agenda and ask questions about the issues that we will be lobbying for in Olympia.
- Facebook link to Legislative Town Hall event
- January 28: RSVP form closes to graduate students
- February 8: Mandatory training day for all Huskies on the Hill participants
- 4:00 – 6:00pm, Gowen Hall 201
- Food will be provided
- February 11: Huskies on the Hill lobby day in Olympia!
- 7:00am bus departure time, 4:00 – 4:30pm return to campus
- Food and transportation will be provided
- Graduate students are allowed to drive themselves to Olympia, liability waivers for students driving themselves must be returned to GPSS by February 7