

Graduate & Professional Student Senate

GPSS Executive Committee Meeting- 22 October 2014

Meeting called to order at 5:32 by meeting chair Alex Bolton

Members Present:

Alice Popejoy
Douglass Taber
Alex Bolton
Eddie Schwieterman
Elloise Kim
Evan Firth
Yasmeen Hussain

Reading of Agenda

Motion: to approve the agenda for Oct 22, 2014 - Eddie

Vote: Move to approve the agenda, seconded by Elias Kim

Resolve: Agenda for the meeting on 22 October 2014 approved without objection.

Approve of Minutes

Motion: to approve the minutes (sent out by secretary) for Oct 8, 2014 - Douglas Taber

Vote: Move to approve the agenda, Seconded- Natalie Gordon

Resolve: Minute for the meeting on 8 October 2014 approved without modification.

Introduction of Attendees

Vice President Alex Bolton
Executive Senator Eddie Schwieterman
Executive Senator Yasmeen Hussain
Communication Specialist Cynthia Chang
Executive Senator Evan Firth
Executive Senator Ellis Kim
Treasurer Douglass Taber
Secretary Natalie Gordon
Rod Palmquist (Organizing Director)
Call-in: President Alice Popejoy

Overview of Student Technology Fee

Alton and Jarod: STF received funding from students from the \$41 fee paid as part of tuition.

The committee has members on it from both GPSS and ASUW. The document we sent out today talks about requesting approval of our annual report and funding.

Our goal is to maximize our utility by centralizing resources. For computer labs, unless there are specific reasons that require more powerful technology like the Art Building or Science Building, we are trying to centralize all computers to the libraries, like the Odegaard Library. Updates:

- Microsoft Option: Microsoft option has ended. We are not giving windows for cheap, instead we have Windows 365 now provided for student. It's cheaper for students in general, but we just do not have a copy of the Microsoft suite anymore, and we are waiting to see how this will impact the students
- Annual Funding Plan: these are some of our goals for the year- continue to centralize the resources at the library, we are also going to build data space for the whole campus. We are also connecting with a web designer to create a better website experience for students and all members on campus.
- Hiring Communication Officer: we hired another communications officer, and we hope this role will bridge the difference between the proposed plan and how students react to this proposal
- Estimated budget for the year: the budget number is a bit more than the projection for 2015. We used an estimate for this, just so we can have an overview and not go over budget. This year we reached 97%, so it's pretty much right on the point with the estimate and we hope to continue to do that.

Question and concerns of STF Fee

Eddie: I am concerned about centralizing computer resources. Answer: We are trying to make it more utilitarian. One of our criteria is how available our resources are to students. And the rest of the funding will go into building the database that I mentioned, so everyone can go and find that resource and use it

Eddie: could you give me an example of remote computing? Answer: we purchase computers and tablets to do data collection. These really help facilitate resource utility.

Eddie: why are you planning on increasing the remote computing significantly? Answer: we want the proposal to come from students and departments - let them decide - and therefore incentivize them to use that resource.

Natalie: are you doing any promotion for that? Answer: it's hard to promote for STF because we don't want the committee to decide for the students.

Yasmeen: but if no one hears about it, no one will know what you are going to spend a lot of money on.

Eddie: could you give me one of those examples? Answer: I can just read out the abstract for you to help you understand.

Eddie: I am concerned that we have this demand for computer labs, but I think it's problematic that you are shifting funds from areas that are in high demand to those that are less popular.

Answer: the idea is that we don't want to spend all the money on just computer labs, it's not a perfect system, of course we can just fund the computers in the library but then this money can have more value if can do more with it. Most computing needs can be satisfied by computers at the library, and that's why we are trying to centralize it at Odegaard so students can have 24-7 access to this resource.

Eddie: I think you guys should help facilitate that demand for that remote computer access. I am just concern about what might happen. Answer: we are going to talk to different colleges and hopefully we can spread more knowledge about this.

Yasmeen: can you remind me what is the communication specialist's responsibility? Answer: they do outreach as well.

Motion to extend

Eddie moves to extend time by 10 minutes. Douglass seconds.

Question and Concerns of STF Fee

Alton: the fee of \$41 has never been changed, not since its creation. We are trying to gather data comparing how much was gathered in the past decade and compare it to what we gather now, and from that point, we are going to see what the impact would be.

Doug: how many requests did you turn down last year? Answer: last year we had less requests than normal, because partly because we have limited time.

Eddie: those are divided into sections too, right? Answer: ten to start, and 6 were funded. Last year was not a typical year, I would look back the past year to aggregate that data.

Jarod: we have a criteria for judging, we will be accepting proposals until January, it has to be approved by a dean from a department other than yours or you can go to student life office to get this funded.

Eddie: can we send that out to everyone, Natalie?

Natalie: technically we can.

Yasmeen: I am just baffled that there is a \$41 fee, and we can are not sending this information out to everyone.

Eddie moves to extend time by 5 minutes, Evan seconds

Alex: with the way you categorize this, I am just wondering if there's anyway we can squeeze this into any community.

Eddie: what's the process of selecting chair? Answer: It's a vote.

Yasmeen moves to approve the Chair, Eddie seconds

Alex: to clarify, there are no bylaw changes right? Answer: we can send you what we are looking to change and you can look through that list.

Natalie: I agreed with ASUW's recommendation

Alex: so can you summarize what we would be approving Answer: you are approving the dates that we do things, and that we can accept proposal for RFP.

Approval of RFP

Douglass Taber moves to approve the RFP, Elloise Kim seconds.

Eddie: I would like to make a statement, I would support this if we can reach out to graduate students.

Douglass: can you clarify what's the difference between portable or collaborative? Answer: collaborative is more like Mary Gates Hall common places.

Approval of yearly funding plan

Yasmeen moves to approve yearly funding plan, Eddie seconds.

Senate Meeting Agenda

Alice: do we have a spotlight set up ?

Natalie: I have spotlight set up for the next meeting and the meeting after.

Alice: We want to encourage people to stay and not to leave, we should have an informational item at the beginning of the meeting about the child care services. The slogan is The Whole U, and Your Kids Too. Natalie has been working really hard to collect stories. I think it would be great if we can partner with College of Education to support this idea.

Yasmeen & Alex: Is that 10 minutes or 5 minutes?

Alice: let's do 10.

Alex: So you want 10 minutes for that and you want 5 minutes for previously on GPSS

Alice: Yes. I also got a phone call from UAW that they are going to stop sending out emails.

Eddie: I will follow up with that.

Eddie: Do we want to vote to form the graduate experience committee convene ad hoc so it can be ready?

Alice: I am fine with waiting until after the bylaws are done.

Alex introduces Rod

Yasmeen: so to clarify, when is the bylaws thing happening, we have to talk to Judicial

Natalie: My understanding is that Alice is going to look through them all and she will meet up with you and a couple of other members from the Judicial committee. Judicial is meeting this Friday.

Yasmeen & Eddie: I really want the bylaws to be done this quarter. Would it be okay to have them look over what's already on the Google Drive so they can also start making edits?

Alex: Aside from what Alice said, what other things do we want on our agenda? So right now we have approval of agenda, approval of minutes, previously on GPSS, spotlight-would 10 minutes be okay?

Natalie: It's 5 minutes of presentation and 5 minutes of question

Evan: I think 15 would be more appropriate if we have time anyway.

Yasmeen: let's do them together with one chunk 15 minutes.

Alex: and then we have Go Vote

Rod: the state ethics rules only apply to state candidates who are running for election so we can encourage people to vote.

Evan: and then we can have updates

Alex: we are at 1 hr and 10 minutes and Alice want 10 minutes for child care slides

Evan: are we doing a separate thing for previously on GPSS?

Alex: so now we have call to order, approval of agenda, approval of minutes, previously on GPSS, Spotlight, childcare, Go Vote, updates, announcements, adjourn

Approve of Senate Agenda

Eddie moves to approve the agenda, Natalie seconds

Executive Senate Reports

Yasmeen: designated smoking area report is done, that will hopefully be sent out by Natalie

Eddie: I don't have anything to report but I will follow up with the problem Alice mentioned

Elloise: Joseph Telegen mention a resolution for concerns for increasing class sizes, especially for English department. A lot of TAs are already having independent classes, and the class size is still demanding. We are designing classes and grading papers.

Officer Reports

Douglass: our committees are up and running, we have meetings all set up now. Especially for finance and budget we have whole new system when RSOs apply for budgets. For travel grants, we are going to have mock travel grant. We have about 40 travel grant applications. We are looking to have 7-10 on the committee. It's good that we have some much interest for that committee. Also S&P is good, but all the meetings are already set. Fall Social is being moved, it's on November 6. There's a lot of off-set this year, because we had some problems with the Burke and the only date that we ended up getting is on Halloween on a Friday night and we just didn't think that was a good idea

Natalie: Judicial committee is on Friday. We are also going to start talking about the child care issue very soon. I have been approached by different diversity groups on diversity issues, and I will collaborate with them. GPSS had a table at the Sustainable Fair today. On a side note, I think we should have a better looking table cloth for fairs like this.

Alex: This is our Organizing Director Rod. He has some really good plan to get GPSS engaged in student's life.

Rod: I am really excited to meet all of you and work with you. This is a really vibrant community and school, and I am really excited to try to recruit as many students who are excited about the legislature to join and talk about issues

Alex: Rod was a professional organizer, and he came in with a 3 page proposal. And we will have a policy analyst coming in really soon. For SAGE, Alice and I will be in Texas starting Thursday night until Sunday. I was able to meet with some medical students and get an idea on how they are feeling.

Meeting adjourned at 6:50 pm.

Alex entertained motion to adjourn meeting

Yasmeen: moved to adjourn

Evan: Seconded