Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation

Do I Have an Alcohol Use Disorder?

Could I be an alcoholic?


If you scored higher than 8 points, consider contacting Hall Health to schedule a consultation with a provider.

What is alcoholism?

As many as 18 million people living in the United States have an alcohol use disorder, like alcoholism.

Symptoms of alcoholism include:

  • Cravings.  Strong desire to drink alcohol

  • Loss of control.  Unable to stop drinking once you’ve started

  • Dependence.  After stopping drinking, symptoms like sweating, shakiness and nausea

  • Tolerance.  You may need to drink more and more to feel the same effect

Thinking about changing your drinking habits?booze_0.png

Although your friends and family can help, it’s ultimately your decision whether to decrease or eliminate your alcohol use.  It can help to think about the pros and cons of making a change. 

For some people, pros include improving your health, saving money, academic improvement and maintaining relationships.  Cons of cutting down on or stopping drinking might include difficulty fitting in with friends or losing an easy way to unwind.

If you do decide to make a change, Hall Health can help.  We offer free, non-judgmental counseling for students who want to talk about their alcohol use.  Contact us to make an appointment at (206) 616-2495.

There are many additional resources, below, that can help if you decide if alcohol has become a problem.

Getting help

Learn more about alcohol poisoning

Learn more about talking to a friend or loved one about their alcohol use

University of Washington resources

Hall Health Mental Health Clinic

Provides free non-judgmental, non-confrontational counseling for students who want to explore their alcohol use through the BASICS program.

(206) 616-2495

Counseling Center

Psychologists and mental health counselors who provide developmentally-based counseling, assessment, and crisis intervention services to currently-enrolled UW students

(206) 543-1240

Hall Health Primary Care Center

The Primary Care Clinic at Hall Health provides comprehensive acute and chronic care to all members of the community.

(206) 616-2495

Addictive Behaviors Research Center (ABRC)

Provides research, training, and evaluation in the development and dissemination of interventions to prevent and treat addictive behaviors.

(206) 685-2995

UW Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute (ADAI)

The ADAI Library is available for student and community to use.

(206) 543-0937

UW Carelink Employee Assistance Program

Confidential counseling and other services are available for UW employees.

1-866-598-3978 (M-F) for information and appointments
1-800-833-3031 (24 hours) for crisis services

Other resources for Seattle and King County

Washington Recovery Helpline

24-hour help for substance abuse, problem gambling and mental health.

1-800-562-1240 (Washington only)
1-866-833-6546 (Teenlink--answered by teens)

Seattle-King County Crisis Clinic (24 hour crisis line)

Telephone-based crisis intervention, information and referrals for adults and youth in Seattle-King County.


Alcoholics Anonymous (24 hour)

Support for people seeking to recover from alcoholism

(206) 587-2838

Al-Anon/Alateen (24 hour)

Support for family and friends of alcoholics

(206) 625-0000

Washington State Alcohol Drug Clearinghouse

A resource for Washington State residents with both print and online resources about drugs and alcohol.

(206) 221-8325

King County Mental Health, Chemical Abuse and Dependency Services

Provides high quality mental health and substance abuse services to low-income individuals in need.

(206) 296-7626

Authored by:  Peer Health Educator

Reviewed by: Hall Health Center Mental Health Clinic staff, January 2014