Scientific InstrumentsSupporting the technology used in healthcare, research and education.
Mission, Vision & Values
Supporting the technology used in healthcare, research and education.
An environment where technology safely and reliably assists our clinicians, researchers, faculty, staff members and students in their quest for excellence.
Excellence: We are uncompromising in safety, quality and accuracy in all that we do. We take responsibility for our actions both individually and collectively. We continually strive to improve our processes, skills and knowledge.
Professionalism: We consider ourselves partners with our customers, and as such, dress, behave and communicate in a manner consistent with their expectations and those of their patients, family members, staff, students and the general public.
Service: We seek to meet or exceed our customer’s expectations. We actively listen to their concerns, effectively communicate available options and advise them on the best course of action. We respect our customer’s decisions and do whatever we can to implement them in a timely and cost effective manner.
People: We realize that our staff and their collective knowledge and experience are our greatest asset. We support their continued growth, education and training, both professionally and personally.
Scientific Instruments supports over 18,000 pieces of patient care, laboratory and research equipment spread across the greater Seattle area including UW Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, NW Hospital, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, UW Physician’s Neighborhood Clinics and a variety of other University, state, federal and other publicly funded agencies. We accomplish this through three organizational units:
- Biomedical Electronics is staffed by Biomedical Electronics Technicians (BMETs) and focuses on supporting electronic and electromechanical patient care and laboratory equipment.
- Machine Shop is staffed by Instrument Makers and focuses on making or modifying research and patient care equipment. In addition, the Machine Shop manufactures Bone Marrow Transplant Equipment sold to transplant centers around the world.
Services Offered Include:
- Technology Management: Our record keeping system tracks instruments throughout their complete life cycle including initial inspection, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, recalls & safety alerts and final disposal.
- Regulatory Compliance: Our records can be used to document compliance with TJC, CAP, CLEA, AABB, FDA, CMS or other accrediting agencies requirements for equipment maintenance.
- Preventive Maintenance (PM): We can establish a scheduled maintenance program customized to meet your specific needs. Workorders are automatically generated at pre-determined intervals and our technicians will travel to your location to perform services.
- Routine or Emergency Repairs: We can repair most equipment found in patient care, laboratory or office settings and have technicians on-call 24/7 in case you need service after hours.
- Design & Prototype: We can take your ideas and convert them into fully functional prototypes or custom devices.
- IT Services: Our IT Professionals can support your desktops, servers, databases and other applications.