Ferric C. Fang, MD
Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine;
Director, Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Harborview Medical Center
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Prof. Fang is a clinician-scientist who oversees the clinical microbiology laboratory at Harborview and performs basic research at the UW School of Medicine to understand how bacteria cause disease. Prior to joining the UW faculty in 2001, Prof. Fang was a faculty member at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. He is the founding Director of the UW Interdisciplinary Training Program in Bacterial Pathogenesis and has been Editor-in-Chief of the journal Infection and Immunity since 2007. His goal as a physician is to provide state-of-the-art support to clinicians at Harborview Medical Center and to treat each patient like a family member.
Education and Training
- AB magna cum laude in Biology, Harvard College, 1979
- MD Harvard Medical School, 1983
- Internship, Residency & Chief Residency, Department of Medicine, UCSD, 1983-1987
- Fellowship, Infectious Diseases and Molecular Genetics, UCSD, 1987-1990
- Infectious diseases
- Bacterial pathogenesis
- Phagocyte-pathogen interactions
- Transciptional regulation
- Scientific peer review
- Transcriptional regulatory networks in pathogenic bacteria
- Antimicrobial actions of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species
- Host and bacterial iron metabolism
- Pathogenesis of Salmonella and Staphylococcus aureus infections
- Development of novel diagnostic assays for infectious diseases
- The evolution of scientific peer review
- Fang, F.C. and J.J. Baumler. A Toll Gate for Typhoid. Cell. 2012 Oct 26;151(3):473-5.
- Fang, F.C., R.G. Steen and A. Casadevall. Misconduct accounts for the majority of retracted scientific publications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Oct 16;109(42):17028-33. Epub 2012 Oct 1.
- Karlinsey, J.E., I.S. Bang, L.A. Becker, E.R. Frawley, S. Porwollik, H.F. Robbins, V.C. Thomas, M. McClelland and F.C. Fang. The NsrR regulon in nitrosative stress resistance of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Mol Microbiol 85:1179-1193, 2012.
- Humphries R.M., F.C. Fang, F.M. Aarestrup and J.A. Hindler. In vitro susceptibility testing of fluoroquinolone activity against Salmonella – recent changes to CLSI standards, 2012 Jul 24, epub ahead of print.
- Fritsche, G., M. Nairz, J. Libby, F.C. Fang, and G. Weiss.Slc11a1 (Nramp1) impairs growth of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium in macrophages via stimulation of lipocalin-2 expression. J Leukocyt Biol, 92:353-359, 2012.
Honors and Awards
- Bank of America Achievement Award, 1975
- National Merit Scholar, 1975 Edmondson Fellow, 1975
- U.S.C. Presidential Scholar, 1975
- John Harvard Scholar, 1978 & 1979
- Phi Beta Kapp, 1979
- David McCord Prize, 1979
- Kaiser Permanente Teaching Awards, 1985 and 1987
- NIH Physician-Scientist Award, 1987-1992
- UCSD Senior Residents' Teaching Award, 1992
- UCSD Chief Residents' Teaching Award, 1992
- ASM Baxter Diagnostics MicroScan Young Investigator Award, 1994
- Outstanding I.D. Educator Award, UCHSC, 1995
- American Society for Clinical Investigation, Keynote Speaker, MidWest Microbial, elected 1998 Pathogenesis Meeting, 1998
- James Biundo Foundation Award, 1998 and 1999
- ASM Division B Lecturer, 2000
- Keynote Speaker, Bay Area Microbial Pathogenesis Symposium, 2003
- Harry F. Dowling Lecturer, Univ. of Illinois, 2003
- Keynote Speaker, Mid-Atlantic Microbial Pathogenesis Meeting, 2005
- Abraham I. Braude Visiting Professor, UCSD, 2005
- American Academy of Microbiology, elected 2007
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Visiting Lecturer, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, MIRL Symposium, Zhunan, Taiwan, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research Inaugural Symposium, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, FEMS-ESCMID Conference on Salmonella, Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland, 2010
- Neidhardt-Freter Lecturer, University of Michigan, 2011
- John Hibbs Lecture, University of Utah, 2012
Last updated: 08/23/2019