James S. Fine, MD, MS
Paul E. Strandjord and Kathleen J. Clayson Endowed Chair,
Department of Laboratory Medicine
Chief Information Officer, Information Technology Services, UW Medicine Health System
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Education and Training
- Computers in Medicine Fellowship from National Library of Medicine, administrated by University of Minnesota, 1974-1977
- Residency, Laboratory Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1974-1977
- Residency, Radiology, University of Minnesota, 1973-1974
- Internship, St. Paul Ramsey Hospital, Medicine, 1972-1974
- MS, University of Minnesota, Biometry and Health Information Systems, 1977
- MD, University of Minnesota, 1972 o BA, University of Minnesota, Mathematics, cum laude, 1968
- Computer Applications in Medicine
- Chen-Levy Z, Wener MH, Toivola B, Daum P, Reyes M, Fine JS. Factors affecting urinary myoglobin stability in vitro. Am J Clin Pathol. Mar;123(3): 432-8, 2005.
- Astion M, Kim S, Nelson A, Henderson P, Phillips C, Bien C, Mandel L, Orkand AR, and Fine JS. A two-year study of microscopic urinalysis competency using the Urinalysis-Review computer program. Clin Chem 45(6, pt. 1): 757-70, 1999.
- Coplin WM, Longstreth. Jr. WT, Lam AM, Chandler WL, Mayberg TS, Fine JS, Winn HR. Cerebrospinal fluid creatine kinase-BB isoenzyme activity and outcome after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Arch Neurol 56(11): 1348-52, 1999.
- Phillips C, Henderson PJ, Mandel L, Kim S, Schaad D, Cooper M, Bien C, Orkand A, Wener MH, Fine JS, and Astion ML. Teaching the microscopic examination of urine sediment to second year medical students using the Urinalysis-Tutor computer program. Clin Chem 44: 1692-1700, 1998.
- Tirschwell DL, Longstreth WT, Rauch-Matthews ME, Chandler WL, Rothstein T, Wray L, Eng LJ, Fine J, Copass MK. Cerebrospinal fluid creatine kinase BB isoenzyme activity and neurologic prognosis after cardiac arrest. Neurol 48: 352-357, 1997.
Honors and Awards
- First holder Paul E. Strandjord and Kathleen J. Clayson Endowed Chair, 2011
- IT Project of the Year, by Advance for Health Information Executives, 2008
(A national competition recognizing excellence in project performance, project governance, issue/scope management, financial performance, clinical excellence, customer satisfaction, project scope and scale for the joint HMC-UWMC ORCA CIS Replacement Project)
- Gerald T. Evans Award for outstanding leadership and/or service, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, 2001
- 5th International Clinical Enzymology Congress, Organizing Committee Award, 1985
- Teaching Excellence Award, School of Medicine, 1984-1985
- National Library of Medicine Fellowship, Computers in Medicine, 1974-1977
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1968
Last updated: 03/20/2017