Ryan A. Metcalf, MD, FCAP
Associate Medical Director, Transfusion Service Laboratories
Assistant Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine
University of Washington
University of Washington Medical Center
1959 NE Pacific Street, Box 357110
Seattle, WA 98195
Ryan A. Metcalf, MD is a board certified Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine physician and is Associate Medical Director for the Transfusion Service Laboratories at the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center. He practices transfusion medicine wherein he directs safe blood transfusions for patients at both hospitals from the laboratory to the patient bedside. He also has a strong interest in continuously improving the quality of the transfusion service and health care delivery at the University of Washington. His goal is to promote safe, efficient, and cost-effective care.
Education and Training
- BS, University of California at Santa Barbara
- MD, University of California at Davis School of Medicine
- Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (AP/CP), Stanford University
- Fellowship, Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine, Stanford University
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (AP/CP), American Board of Pathology
- Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine, American Board of Pathology
- Transfusion medicine
- Quality management
- Patient blood management
- New platelet products
- Quality management
- Innovation in transfusion medicine education
- 2010 Robert E. Stowell Achievement in Pathology Award, University of California, Davis Dept. of Pathology
- 2009 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2007-08 Robert E. Stowell Endowed Post-Sophomore Fellowship in Pathology, Stanford University
- 2005 Robert L. Sinsheimer Award in Molecular Biology for student with highest academic performance at University of California, Santa Barbara
- Metcalf RA, Bakhtary S, Goodnough LT, Andrews J. Clinical Pattern in Hypotensive Transfusion Reactions. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2016. Epub ahead of print.
- Metcalf RA, Goodnough LT, Shah N. Transportation Cooler Interventions Reduce Plasma and Red Blood Cell Wastage. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016. Epub ahead of print.
- Metcalf RA, Bashey S, Wysong A, Kim J, Kim YH, Gratzinger D. Intravascular ALK-negative Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma With Localized Cutaneous Involvement and an Indolent Clinical Course: Toward Recognition of a Distinct Clinicopathologic Entity. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Apr;37(4):617-23.
PubMed ID 23480896
- Sankaran VG, Ludwig LS, Sicinska E, Xu J, Bauer DE, Eng JC, Patterson HC, Metcalf RA, Natkunam Y, Orkin SH, Sicinski P, Lander ES, Lodish HF. Cyclin D3 coordinates the cell cycle during differentiation to regulate erythrocyte size and number. Genes Dev. 2012 Sep 15;26(18):2075-87.
Pubmed ID 22929040
- Metcalf RA, Zhao S, Anderson MW, Lu ZS, Galperin I, Marinelli RJ, Cherry AM, Lossos IS, Natkunam Y. Characterization of D-Cyclin Proteins in Hematolymphoid Neoplasms: Lack of Specificity of Cyclins D2 and D3 in Lymphoma Subtypes. Mod Pathol. 2010 Mar23;(3): 420-33.
PubMed ID 20062012