Health and Wellness
Suicide Intervention Program
Possible Warning Signs For Suicide
Some behaviors may indicate that a person is at immediate risk for suicide. The following three should prompt you to immediately call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or a mental health professional, or 911. Health & Wellness is available for response and follow up after the immediate emergency has been addressed.
- Talking explicitly about wanting to die or to kill oneself
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or obtaining a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live
Other behaviors may also indicate a serious risk—especially if the behavior is new; has increased; and/or seems related to a painful event, loss, or change. Health & Wellness is available to consult and reach out to students in need of support when these risk factors are present.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Displaying extreme mood swings
For more information about our program please contact:Health and Wellness
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Additional Information and Resources for Suicide Prevention at UW: Forefront: Innovations in Suicide Prevention:
Additional Off Campus Resources
Off Campus resources for students, friends and family with questions or concerns:
- Now Matters Now: Skills and support for coping with suicidal thoughts
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- ULifeline.org: Online resources for college mental health.
- HalfOfUs : Provided in partnership with MTVu — provides education on depression, bipolar, suicide, eating disorders, anxiety, stress, alcohol and drugs, and cutting.
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: Or call 800.273.8255(TALK)
- For Hearing and Speech Impaired: 800.799.4TTY (4889)