G. A. Nagana Gowda, PhD
Researcher, Mitochondria and Metabolism Center
Research Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine
Researcher, Northwest Metabolomics Research Center
My research interests are in the area of metabolomics, both methods development and applications focusing investigations of human health and diseases. Our methods development, utilizing nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and mass spectrometry (MS) techniques, is focused on the analysis of metabolites in complex biological mixtures from humans, animal models and cell lines. We also combine NMR and MS techniques to exploit their combined strength to unravel the biological complexity and identify and quantify unknown metabolites. We are particularly interested in enhancing the NMR’s detection sensitivity and resolution with a view to expand the pool of quantifiable metabolites for metabolomics applications. As a part of this aim, we develop and utilize smart isotope tags that possess dual characteristics – stable isotope for NMR’s sensitivity and permanent charge for MS’s sensitivity- and enable exploiting the combined strength of two bioanalytical platforms.
BS Mysore University, Chitradurga, India. 1983
MS Mysore University, Mysore, India, 1985
PhD Bangalore University, Bangalore, India, 1999
Postdoctoral Scientist State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA, 1998
Honors and Awards
1994 Bruker Young Scientist Award
2003 Elected Fellow, The National Academy of Sciences, India
2004 NMR Society Award: National Magnetic Resonance Society, India
2006 Elected Member, The National Academy of Sciences, India
- Nagana Gowda GA, Yashas GN, Raftery D. Expanding the Limits of Blood Metabolite Quantitation using NMR Spectroscopy. Anal. Chem. 87(1), 706-715, 2015.
- Nagana Gowda GA, Yashas GN, Raftery D. Massive cyclization of glutamine to pyroglutamic acid discovered using
- NMR spectroscopy, Anal. Chem., 87(7), 3800-3805, 2015.
- Nagana Gowda GA, Raftery D. Can NMR solve some significant challenges in metabolomics? J Magn Reson. 260:144-60, 2015.
- Tayyari F, Nagana Gowda GA, Gu H, Raftery D. 15N-cholamine–a smart isotope tag for combining NMR- and MS-based metabolite profiling. Anal Chem. 85(18):8715-21, 2013.
- Appiah-Amponsah E, Owusu-Sarfo K, Nagana Gowda GA, Ye T, Raftery D. Combining Hydrophilic Interaction Chromatography (HILIC) and Isotope Tagging for Off-Line LC-NMR Applications in Metabolite Analysis. Metabolites. 3(3):575-91, 2013
- Nagana Gowda GA, Shanaiah N, Raftery D. Isotope enhanced approaches in metabolomics. Adv Exp Med Biol. 992:147-64, 2012
- Wei S, Zhang J, Liu L, Ye T, Gowda GA, Tayyari F, Raftery D. Ratio analysis nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy for selective metabolite identification in complex samples. Anal Chem. 83(20):7616-23, 2011.
- Asiago VM, Alvarado LZ, Shanaiah N, Gowda GA, Owusu-Sarfo K, Ballas RA, Raftery D. Early detection of recurrent breast cancer using metabolite profiling. Cancer Res. 70(21):8309-18, 2010.
- Ye T, Mo H, Shanaiah N, Nagana Gowda GA, Zhang S, Raftery D. Chemoselective 15N Tag for Sensitive and High-Resolution Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Profiling of the Carboxyl-Containing Metabolome, Anal Chem 81(12):4882-4888, 2009.
- Shanaiah N, Desilva A, Nagana Gowda GA, Raftery MA, Hainline BE, Raftery D. Metabolite class selection of amino acids in biofluids using chemical derivatization and their enhanced 13C NMR. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(28):11540-11544, 2007.