- NMR Facility
- About Us
Brian J. Hawkins, PhD
- Researcher, Mitochondria and Metabolism Center
- Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Pathology
- Mitochondrial coordination of calcium signaling patterns and mitochondrial reactive oxygen species
- Discrete roles of mitochondrial complexes in cellular function
- Identification of the cellular targets of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species
- How chronic mitochondrial stress develops into human disease
- 1994 Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- 1995 Golden Key National Honor Society
- 2002 Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society
- 2002 Graduate Research Development Project Award, Virginia Tech
- 2002 Faculty Campaign Graduate Student Scholarship, Virginia Tech
- 2002 Margaret Ellen Carter Hepler Research Fellowship, Virginia Tech
- 2006 American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Postdoctoral Travel Award
- 2006 Post Doctoral Fellowship Award, Pulmonary Hypertension Association/American Heart Association
- 2008 K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award, National Institutes of Health
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Heart Association
- National Institutes of Health, R00-HL094536: Regulation of vascular inflammation by mitochondrial reactive oxygen species.
- Hawkins BJ, Irrinki KM, Mallilankaraman K, Lien YC, Wang Y, Bhanumathy CD, Subbiah R, Ritchie MF, Soboloff J, Baba Y, Kurosaki T, Joseph SK, Gill DL, Madesh M. (2010) S-glutathionylation activates STIM1 and alters mitochondrial homeostasis. J Cell Biol 190 (3), 391-405.
- Hawkins BJ, Levin MD, Doonan PJ, Petrenko NB, Davis CW, Patel VV, Madesh M. (2010) Mitochondrial complex II prevents hypoxic but not calcium- and proapoptotic Bcl-2 protein-induced mitochondrial membrane potential loss. J Biol Chem 285 (34), 26494-505.
- Davis C, Hawkins BJ, Ramasamy S, Irrinki KM, Cameron BA, Islam KM, Daswani VP, Doonan PJ, Manevich Y, Madesh M (2010) Nitration of the mitochondrial complex I subunit NDUFB8 elicits RIP1 and 3-mediated necrosis. Free Radic Biol Med 48, 306-17. (Primary Author)
- Hawkins BJ, Solt LA, Chowdhury I, Kazi AS, Abid MR, Aird WC, May MJ, Foskett JK, Madesh M. (2007) G-protein coupled receptor Ca2+-linked mitochondrial reactive oxygen species are essential for endothelial/leukocyte adherence. Mol Cell Biol 27 (21), 7582-93.
- Hawkins BJ, Madesh M, Kirkpatrick CJ, Fisher AB. (2007) Superoxide flux in endothelial cells via the chloride channel-3 mediates intracellular signaling. Mol Biol Cell 18 (6), 2002-12.
Mitochondria and Metabolism Center
850 Republican Street, Room N-134
Seattle, WA 98109-8057
Email: Brian J. Hawkins