- Kyocera Professor of Materials Science & Engineering
- Professor of Neurological Surgery
- Adjunct Professor of Bioengineering
- Adjunct Professor of Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine
|Office:||302L Roberts Hall|
|Web:||Zhang Web Site|
Ph.D., 1999, University of California at Berkeley, Materials Science & Engineering
Our research is geared toward developing materials and devices for biological and medical applications, which can be broadly categorized in three directions and conducted in three labs within the group.
The Nanoparticle Lab focuses its research on cancer diagnosis and treatment through imaging enhancement and targeted and controlled therapeutic payload delivery using nanoconjugates or multifunctional nanovectors.
Tissue Engineering Lab
The Tissue Engineering Lab concentrates on development of biocompatible porous and nanofibrous matrices serving as biodegradable scaffolds and/or drug delivery depots for tissue repair and regeneration.
The Biosensor Lab targets the detection and identification of chemical and biological agents and the development of drug screening techniques using protein and cell based sensors.
Selected Recent Publications
- Z. R. Stephen, F. M. Kievit, O. Veiseh, P. A Chiarelli, C. Fang, S. Hatzinger, K. Wang, R. G. Ellenbogen, J. R. Silber, and M. Zhang “Redox-Responsive Magnetic Nanoparticle for Targeted Convection-Enhanced Delivery of O6-Benzylguanine to Brain Tumors", ACS Nano, 8 (10), 10383-10395 (2014).
- F. M. Kievit, S. J. Florczyk, M. C. Leung, K. Wang, J. D. Wu, J. R. Silber, R. G. Ellenbogen, J. S. H. Lee, and M. Zhang “Proliferation and enrichment of CD133+ glioblastoma cancer stem cells on 3D chitosan-alginate scaffolds", Biomaterials, 35 (33), 9137-9143 (2014).
- M. Leung, A. Cooper, S. Jana, C. T. Tsao, T. Petrie, and M. Zhang “Nanofiber-based in vitro system for high myogenic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells", Biomacromolecules, 14 (12), 4207-4216 (2013).
- S. J. Florczyk, K. Wang, S. Jana, D. L. Wood, S. k. Sytsma, J. Sham, F. M. Kievit, and M. Zhang “Porous chitosan-hyaluronic acid scaffolds as a mimic of glioblastoma microenvironment ECM", Biomaterials, 34 (38), 10143-10150 (2013).
- Vy Pan-Lai , S. J. Florczyc , F. M. Kievit , K. Wang , E. Gad , M. L. Disis, and M. Zhang “Three-Dimensional Scaffolds to Evaluate Tumor Associated Fibroblast-Mediated Suppression of Breast Tumor Specific T Cells", Biomacromolecules, 14 (5), 1330-1337 (2013).
- S. Jana, A. Cooper, and M. Zhang “Chitosan scaffolds with unidirectional microtubular pores for large skeletal myotube generation", Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2 (4), 557-561 (2013).
- H. Mok, and M. Zhang “Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticle-Based Delivery Systems for Biotherapeutics", Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, 10 (1), 73-87 (2013).
- F. M. Kievit, Z. R. Stephen, O. Veiseh, H. Arami, T. Wang, Vy P. Lai, J. O. Park, R. G. Ellenbogen, M. L. Disis, and M. Zhang “Targeting of Primary Breast Cancers and Metastases in a Transgenic Mouse Model Using Rationally Designed Multifunctional SPIONs", ACS Nano, 6 (3), 2591-1601 (2012).
- F. M. Kievit, and M. Zhang “Cancer Nanotheranostics: Improving Imaging and Therapy by Targeted Delivery across Biological Barriers", Advanced Materials, 23 (36), H217-H247 (2011).
- F. M. Kievit, and M. Zhang “Surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for targeted cancer therapy", Accounts of Chemical Research, 44 (10), 853-862 (2011).
- O. Veiseh, F. Kievit, R. G. Ellenbogen, and M. Zhang “Cancer Cell Invasion: Treatment and Monitoring Opportunities in Nanomedicine", Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 8 (18), 582-596 (2011).
- Z. R. Stephen, F. M. Kievit, and M. Zhang “Magnetite nanoparticles for medical MR imaging", Materials Today, 14 (7-8), 330-338 (2011).
- C. Fang, O. Veiseh, F. Kievit, N. Bhattarai, F. Wang, Z. Stephen, C. Li, D. Lee, R. G. Ellenbogen, and M. Zhang “Functionalization of iron oxide magnetic nanoparticles with targeting ligands: their physicochemical properties and in vivo behavior", Nanomedicine, 5 (9), 1357-1369 (2010).
- N. Bhattarai, J. Gunn, and M. Zhang “Chitosan-based hydrogels for controlled, localized drug delivery", Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 62 (1), 83-99 (2010).
- O. Veiseh, J. Gunn, and M. Zhang “Design and fabrication of magnetic nanoparticles for targeted drug delivery and imaging", Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 62 (3), 284-304 (2010).
- F. M. Kievit, O. Veiseh, C. Fang, N. Bhattarai, D. Lee, R. G. Ellenbogen, and M. Zhang “Chlorotoxin labeled magnetic nanovectors for targeted gene delivery to glioma", ACS Nano, 4 (8), 4587-4594 (2010).
- O. Veiseh, C. Sun, C. Fang, N. Bhattarai, J. Gunn, F. Kievit, K. Du, B. Pullar, D. Lee, R. Ellenbogen, J. Olson, and M. Zhang “Specific targeting of brain tumors with an optical/magnetic resonance imaging nanoprobe across the blood-brain barrier", Cancer Research 69 (15), 6200-6207 (2009).
- N. Bhattarai, Z. Li, J. Gunn, M. Leung, A. Cooper, D. Edmondson, O. Veiseh, M. Chen, Y. Zhang, R. Ellenbogen, and M. Zhang “Natural-synthetic polyblend nanofibers for biomedical applications", Advanced Materials 21 (27), 2792-2797 (2009).
UW Department of Materials Science & Engineering
phone: (206) 543-2600
fax: (206) 543-3100