Vitraglyphic print

As a doctoral student at the UW’s Center for Digital Art and Experimental Media (DXARTS) it’s been a real treat to be able to work over at the Solheim Lab in the Mechanical Engineering building.  This was my first Vitraglyphic printed at the Solheim Lab just a few weeks ago. David Rutten from Grasshopper ( a plug-in for Rhino 3D software) was demonstrating how to use it’s parametric modeling capabilities to create designs in Rhino, so in this instance I used the Voronoi diagram mesh.  I’ve been exploring themes around man-machine interfaces in my artwork, ranging from the abstracted to the concrete, and this object/sketch is meant to invoke some sort of heart-like organ for a creature somewhere between living and machine.  Below you can see the underside of the object.  The glass prints are still pretty opaque, but as Mark and the rest of the guys in the lab continue to experiment with firing rates, it’s looking like some level of translucence or transparency is not far off. – Meghan Trainor

Vitraglyphic print bottom view

5 Comments on My first Vitraglyphic print

1. Joris says:

Love the design!

The color differences in the fist picture, do they have to do with the different glass used?

Joris

2. admin says:

We produced the color variation it the object by marbleizing the supply bed using a nice blue glass in addition to the normal glass which is rather white. I’m glad that you like the effect.

3. meghatron says:

Thanks Joris! I’m excited to continue iterating through these ideas with the glass.

4. Joris says:

It would be interesting to see what results green glass powder would produce. Since its the color of a lot of wine bottles and also the Heineken bottles it should be quite easy to get a hold of.

5. admin says:

Joris, we have green and blue glass coming. We are picking it up today. Also, we are working with other glass manufacturer that produces art glass in many forms including powder. We will keep you posted.