What is a Grawmet?

Open3DP with the Solheim AM lab and the new WOOF student group will be showing off a fun new 3D printer at Seattle Maker Faire (June 2nd & 3rd) called a Grawmet!

We all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us in the open AM world.    Starting with the teams at RepRap.org (Adrian Bowyer) and the Fab@Home.org (Hod Lipson).   We thank you.

The Grawmet is of the family heritage of PrintrBot (Brook Dunn) and RepRap Wallace (Whosawhatis) with a little bit of  Collapsible RepRap (Larsie).

Since Wallace and Gromit are best buddies and since we are dogs (or Dawgs) at the UW, we thought Grawmet would be a fitting name.   Like Gromit, our dog also graduated with degrees in design and engineering from Dawgworts University (and is currently working on graduate degrees).

Our design goal for Grawmet was a small portable bot with a collapsible carriage whose footprint fits on a standard sheet of paper folded lengthwise.   It was to be as small as possible and as low of cost as possible.

Today Grawmet is between the  beta and gamma phases of the design process (which means we are still making changes but we  have something fun).  The parts will all be castable using your favorite resins (and colors).

Build space = 120x120x120 mm

Filament = 1.75 mm (both ABS and PLA, perhaps others)

Total Cost ~ $300  (again, our local design goal is low cost to allow student purchase).

Stay tuned for more crazy dawg adventures …

20 Comments on Grawmet is coming …

1. dahumphr says:

I’m guessing it will look similar to the Portabee printer.

Good luck, sounds great!

• ganter says:

Yes, we were surprised to see the Portabee printer featured on 3ders.org yesterday. I guess great minds think alike. One
      difference will be that we will release the design files. Also, our cost seems about 60% of the Portabee. Good luck
      on your new business venture.

2. dahumphr says:

Good luck, sounds great!

• ganter says:

on your new business venture.

3. dahumphr says:

Not sure if you knew that printrbot is also building a portable model, the printrbot jr. His is laser cut, folds up, and he is hoping to be able to run it off of batteries. No heated bed, pla only. I believe this is the one he is hoping to market to schools. You can see him demonstrate it in one of their latest videos.

• ganter says:

Yes, PB has been talking about it for a while. Why would you need a heated bed for ABS? (see our post on this subject). We are running ours off of recycled laptop power brick due to its low power demands (thus cordless printing tools seem like a natural).

4. dahumphr says:

• ganter says:

5. Garrett Schulz says:

Quick Question
    What is your estimated time that you will start a kickstarter or start releasing kits or fully made

6. Garrett Schulz says:

Quick Question

7. Pau says:

Hi,

any news on this project ?

Looks great …

• ganter says:

I handed the project off to the WOOF team. Rightfully they have creative differences with me. They are currently reworking the design to meet their goals.

We are also working on a design mod for the reprap Wallace and printrbot to give them the flip carriage.

• ganter says:

I handed the project off to the WOOF team. Rightfully they have creative differences with me. They are
      currently reworking the design to meet their goals.

8. Pau says:

Hi,

any news on this project ?

Looks great …

• ganter says:

• ganter says:

9. Pau says:

ok, thanx 4 the info ….

10. Pau says:

ok, thanx 4 the info ….

11. […] My first project is the Grawmet. Grawmet is a Fused Deposition 3D printer kit developed by WOOF (Washington Open Object Fabricators). I recently joined WOOF, and will be building the second edition of the Grawmet once it has finished being developed, which may take a couple of weeks. More can be found out about the Grawmet here: http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/2012/06/grawmet-is-coming/ […]

12. […] My first project is the Grawmet. Grawmet is a Fused Deposition 3D printer kit developed by WOOF (Washington Open Object Fabricators). I recently joined WOOF, and will be building the second edition of the Grawmet once it has finished being developed, which may take a couple of weeks. More can be found out about the Grawmet here: http://open3dp.me.washington.edu/2012/06/grawmet-is-coming/ […]