flowerPsykopainted

{A flower image created with PsykoPaint. Ganter@2014}

Dear 3DP Readers,

We have attended a couple of 3D printing conferences, events and exhibits over the last few months.

It has been GREAT seeing all of you and sharing in all of the work that is being accomplished.

We have gotten many direct requests to start writing posts again. Okay, we hear your requests.

10 Comments on Still Alive After All These Years

1. duann says:

YAY!

Keep them coming

2. duann says:

YAY!

Keep them coming

3. aub says:

I just acquired a ZCorp Z406 and am looking at the different alternative powders and binders I can use on it. I’ve read through your site as well as your RP Sculpting blog. Thank you for making all of that available to us.

The number of recipes is daunting and I have a few questions to help me come up to speed on the most recent methods.

1. I’d like to confirm that Hydroperm powder with a sake binder is still the preferred combination for monochrome prints, and that this can be used for both glass and non-ferrous metal casting.
    2. For lost investment casting, is the Rice Flour Recipe the current method, or have there been any improvements? Is sake the preferred binder, or should we use one of the XB/XF formulas?
    3. What powder/binder combo is recommended for ceramics – that will take a glaze?
    4. Has anyone begun working on color printing? My understanding is that you simply put food coloring into the sake, but I’m not sure there. I understand Hydroperm is not white enough. What powder should we use there?
    5. Has anyone done any work with USG Hydrocal – it’s a white gypsum cement. This seems like it would be useful in color printing. If no one has tried it yet, I may experiment with a small batch.

Oh, and why sake? Would vodka or another clear alcohol work as well?

• ganter says:

aub, 1.) the 406 uses hp print heads. yes hp heads like sake. Yes to hydroperm for non-ferrous & glass.
      2.) rice flour that has been waxed or sugar is great. hp heads like sake.
      3.) sake binder with any of the ceramic recipes. We like Terra cottas and stonewares.
      4.) we haven’t played with color but ask others in the yahoo zcorp 400 group. No to food coloring. Get some CMYK dyes associated with inkjet printing. There is a white hydroperm (but color hydroperm is gray).
      5.) USG has perhaps 25+ powders. Laura West and I tried about 15 of them. Most could be made to work. Hydrocal and Hydrostone both worked.

To sake or not? hp print heads like gylcol, thus one either mixes something like XB, XF with 5-10% gylcol OR look for products that are close.
      Most wines have gylcol (its the chemical that gives “legs” to wine). You might tried other cheap wines (white or red) that have good legs.

4. aub says:

• ganter says:

5. aub says:

Thanks, ganter! A couple follow ups:

4 – Is that just straight dyes (like they would have at an inkjet refill shop) with no binder or are we adding sake to the dyes?

6 – Is there a recommended glass powder? You mentioned Spectrum Glass, but there was another powder from supplier in a different post in 2009 that had great handling. Can you reveal that supplier?

I think I’ll stick to sake binder and save the wine for myself.

• ganter says:

4 – we have explored dye/inks available from ink jet suppliers.

6 – we have used four different types of glass: recycled, spectrum, bullseye and Reichenbach color powder. The big deal with glass is getting the particle size and particle distribution correct. Ideally one would like powder that has been screened at 400 mesh. NO glass supplier is willing to produce it to that specification.

6. aub says:

Thanks, ganter! A couple follow ups:

• ganter says: