The following policies attempt to ensure that tutors will be available to you and others equally:
During a normal week, you may sign up for 3 appointments.
Please leave 2 or more sessions between appointments in the same day.
During exceptionally busy weeks, you may sign up for 2 appointment(s).
If you miss (fail to show up for) a total of 3 appointments, you will lose the ability to sign up via the website for the rest of the year.
If you must cancel an appointment, please do so promptly — at the minimum 2 hours in advance.
Appointments cancelled later than this will count as missed appointments.
- Late Arrival:
If you are more than ten minutes late to your session, we will have to give your session away to another waiting writer, and you'll need to wait for a drop-in or reschedule your appointment.
We take drop-ins on a first-come, first-serve basis when we have tutors available. We reserve the right to limit the number of drop-in appointments that one student can have on a given day.
Software has bugs. Life has glitches. If you feel we have made a mistake, or that you have missed an appointment due to special circumstances, please contact our center at email@example.com.
OWRC Accessibility Statement:
We encourage students to contact the OWRC and discuss possible accommodations that can be made during a tutoring session.
The OWRC is able to offer the following accommodations to writers:
- Extra time in tutoring sessions to accommodate students who may need more time.
- A semi-private (separate) room to conduct a tutoring session
If you have any questions regarding center accommodations, please contact the OWRC by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Getting the Most from Your Session
- Materials related to the writing project you're currently working on. Any drafts, notes, comments from earlier readers, the assignment prompt (if there is one), or source material (readings) you're working with can help our tutors understand your writing situation. These may be hard copy (printed) or digital — we are happy to use either.
- Your writing — or no writing. We can help at any stage. Bring what you have, but don't be afraid to come even if you don't have anything but questions.
- Openness, flexibility, and energy. The writing session only works if you are an active participant. Be open and willing to talk through your ideas, goals, and difficulties!
Other Things to Know:
- Book early and often. Leave yourself time to make changes. Appointments often fill up 2 weeks in advance.
- Generally, we work with writers on take-home exams only if they have written approval from their instructor to use OWRC or other writing centers for that purpose. If you bring a take-home exam to the OWRC, please be prepared to show written permission from your instrutor, perhaps via Canvas, on the take-home prompt, or via email. Then we'd be happy to help you.
- If you have to cancel, please do so more than 2 hours in advance of your appointment time in order to avoid future-booking penalties. After 3 "no-shows" or belated cancellations in a year, a writer will no longer be able to book appointments with us. Please respect our tutors and other writers who would like to work with us by making full use of the sessions you reserve.