Q Center

Preferred Name Option: 

Currently, the Q Center is working with the Office of the Registrar to add a preferred name option within student databases/UW records. This would allow students to indicate a preferred first and middle name that would be visible to individuals who access the student database/UW records (including the Registrar’s office, professors, TAs, and financial aid).  This option would not require a student to legally change their first and middle name. Pending work from our UW’s IT department, this option should be available quite soon.

 As soon as more information is available, the Q Center will update this page accordingly—giving details on how to add a preferred first and middle name into the student database/UW records, and how this preferred name change will appear to those who access the student database/UW Records.

Change to your initials:

At any time you are welcome to change your name in the UW Student Database to your initials. For example: student, Anderson Bee Cooper, can change their name Husky Card for Dubsto A.B. Cooper in the Student Database.

This does not require any documentation–A student just has to go in person, with their Husky Card or photo I.D., to the Registrar’s Office (Schmitz Hall 225), and fill out the change of name form and hand it to a member of the Registrar’s staff. Within 24 hours you should be able to get your Husky Card updated with your initials for free. 

Of note to student employees: Currently, the Human Resources (HR) database supersedes the UW Student Database. As such, student employees that change their name within the student database will not automatically have those changes reflected on their Husky Card or within their Catalyst account. This has been a problem with graduate student TAs, where a student’s legal name is given in the course catalogue under a course that they are teaching. The Q Center has been told that this problem should be resolved when the preferred name option becomes available.

Changing your gender with UW Student Database: 

Students can change their gender marker at anytime by going to the Registrar’s Office located at Schmitz Hall 225. Note also that, unless your sex/gender has already been changed on legal documents at the state level, you may experience difficulties with receiving financial aid as the university still recognizes you with your former status. Go to the Office of Student Financial Aid located at the first floor of Schmitz Hall and staff there will help you with your financial aid.

Changing your name with UW Student Database: 

Identity.UW is a site created by UW Identity and Access Management Services that lets you change your name in certain UW systems. It is still currently in-progress and some applications/databases may not reflect the changes as fast. For more information about what systems will be affected, how the change will be conducted, and other questions, please click here or email help@uw.edu.

The current process for changing your name on your school records can be found here, and outlined below. The Registrar’s Office, located in Schmitz Hall 225 and can be reached by email at registra@uw.edu.

For a student to change his/her/their name, legal documentation or proof of usage is required of the student’s new name. UW will accept name changes for students who are currently enrolled and for previous students whose records are maintained in the student database. If there is a request for a name change on a student’s academic record whose record is on microfilm, approval needs to be given by one of the registrars.

A name change may be processed either in person or by mail provided the necessary documentation is submitted.

    • In-Person: Registration Office, room 225 Schmitz Hall
    • By mail: Registration Office, Box 355850, Seattle WA 98195.

A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full is the primary document required.

If these documents are not available, then the student must demonstrate usage. The student must provide proof that they are the person whose name is being changed. This typically requires photo ID. Once verified, the student must submit a minimum of two of the documents listed below. At least one of the documents must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature:

        • Former ID
        • Valid driver’s license
        • Valid ID
        • Valid military ID
        • Student ID
        • Valid passport
        • Original copy of citizenship form that contains signature & photograph
        • Foreign country’s passport
        • A federally recognized Indian tribe’s enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs Identification card containing the signature and photograph of the individual.
        • Employee identification cards
        • Business License
        • Birth Certificate
        • Social Security Card
        • Utility, telephone, medical bills that show name used

**If a student requests a name change and they are currently enrolled, that change may be delayed until the end of quarter since confusion could occur during the grading process. If the instructors already have grade sheets with the prior name, a change will not be made until the quarter has ended.**



If you have concerns about changing your name on your UW records, advocacy help, and other legal documents, or have any questions with regard to this matter, the Q Center wants to support you!

The Q Center located in HUB Room 315, open Monday-Friday between 10am-6pm. Call us at 206.897.1430.