Q Center

Q: Do I have to be queer to come in/participate in activities at the Q Center?

A: You do not need to be queer to come into the Q Center! We welcome people of all identities into our space. Some groups that meet in our space however may be closed to people of specific identities and thus close the space to foster a safer space for the group.

Q: Can someone from the Q Center come to a panel/tabling/event?

A: Depending on staff availability, keeping in mind that most requests we receive may fall outside regular staff hours at the Q Center, the answer to this question varies. Please email qcenter@uw.edu and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

Q: Can I leave posters/handouts for an event/our organization in the Q Center?

A: For handout materials, due to the influx we receive from various organizations and lack of table space to place them, we have to limit the materials that we can take in from organizations. We take priority for resources that are specifically for marginalized communities and accept them on a space-available basis.

For posters, we have our center’s window that we use for poster displays. We post posters on a space-available basis.

Q: Can I visit the Q center to observe/interview/take pictures of people in/and the space?

A: If inquiries are made in advance, depending on staff availability you may interview our staff and possibly have other people in the space opt-in with their explicit consent.

For more questions and to schedule an interview, please email qcenter@uw.edu.

We ask that you include detailed information (thesis statement, essay draft, etc.) on what your purpose is for the interview and what you will be using it for. Accordingly, we will respond to your request if we are assured the interview’s use will keep the integrity of the Q Center as well as the people participating.

Q: How do I get my name changed in the UW database?

A: For the UW, you can change your name in various UW databases on Identity.UW. For more information about Identity.UW, please click here.

Q: How do I change my name legally in Washington State?

A: Please visit our “Legal Name Change in WA State” section.