Multicultural Outreach & Recruitment

HB 1079/Undocumented Students

Are you an HB 1079/Undocumented student? The UW is here to help!

What is HB 1079?

House Bill 1079 was signed by Governor Gary Locke on May 7, 2003. HB-1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities starting July 1, 2003. Under Washington state law, students who are not U.S. citizens or permanents residents may qualify for in-state tuition if they meet certain guidelines.

Who is eligible for HB 1079?

Students may be eligible to pay in-state tuition rates if they meet all of the following three criteria:

  • Received a diploma from a Washington high school or the equivalent of a diploma in Washington State.
  • Lived in Washington for at least three calendar years (not school years) prior to receiving their diploma or its equivalent.
  • Continuously resided in Washington since receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent.

Does applying as an undocumented applicant affect my chances of being admitted to the University of Washington?

Admissions consideration for HB 1079 students is the same as those for other students. The University of Washington uses a holistic review process meaning that it takes into consideration many personal characteristics, including unique perspectives, demonstrated tenacity and overcoming personal hardships. More information on admissions factors can be found by following the provided hotlink: Freshman Review

Required Documentation

The University of Washington strongly suggests that students turn in their Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit to the Residency Office at the time they apply for admissions. The affidavit is a confidential statement verifying that the student qualifies to pay in-state tuition. Affidavit is due after admission to the University of Washington.

Things for HB 1079 students to know when applying to the University of Washington

  • If an individual satisfies the requirements of HB 1079, they will need to submit a freshman student application and not an international student application.
  • When asked to enter a social security number in the domestic application, enter all 000-00-0000
  • When asked about your country of permanent residence, list the U.S. as your country of permanent residence.
  • When asked about your current or expected visa or immigration status, check the “other” box and write “HB 1079″ in the space provided if you are applying under this status.
  • Submit the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit to the Residency Office at the time of application. The affidavit is a confidential statement verifying that the student qualifies to pay resident tuition and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency of the United States when eligible to apply.

Dates and Deadlines

  • Autumn Quarter of Application
    • Freshman Application Opens : Sept. 1st
    • Freshman Application Deadline: Nov. 15th
    • Freshman Notification Period: March 1 – 15th
    • Transfer Application Open: Dec. 15th
    • Transfer Application Closes: February 15th
    • Transfer Notification Period: June – July
  • Winter Quarter of Application
    • Application Opens: August 1st
    • Application Deadline: September 1
    • Notification Period: November – December
  • *Spring Quarter of Application
    • Application not open for general admission
    • Application Deadline: December 15
    • Notification Period: February – March
  • **Summer Quarter of Application (Transfer Applicants Only – See more info)
    • Application Opens : December 15
    • Application Deadline: February 15th
    • Notification Period: May – June

* Spring Quarter is not open for general admission; therefore, the online application is not available for this term.

    **Choosing summer means you wish to begin regular enrollment in summer and continue into autumn as a degree-seeking student. Failure to enter in summer quarter cancels autumn admission and any registration. To apply for summer quarter as a non-degree student, contact Summer Quarter.

Financial Aid Resources for HB 1079 students

For additional questions and information, contact Admissions Counselor Heber Molina