Getting More From Your Child’s Communication Device
This workshop is appropriate for parents and professionals who are supporting a child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) of any age who is currently using an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) system, such as a tablet, communication device, or printed communication board/book. Participants will explore intervention strategies to assist in supporting the total communication development of the AAC user, using the communication system as a tool. Strategies will include those that aim to move the child beyond requesting items and into more social communication functions. Strategies provided will also emphasize what parents and partners can do to teach each child how to use more words on his or her system with more independence and consistency over time. Participants should bring the communication system with them to the training if possible. Printed communication boards will be provided to those who are unable to bring the child’s system for the purposes of hands on practice during the workshop. This workshop will end with a 30-minute question and answer session.
In this workshop, participants will:
- Identify a variety of play activities and daily routines that offer robust communication opportunities for a wide range of communication functions, such as making requests, protesting, making comments, and asking questions.
- Discover basic strategies to identify “magic moments” within these routines that may be the most powerful in teaching new words and new reasons to communicate.
- Explore strategies to assure your child has enough vocabulary available on his or her communication system and that the vocabulary is arranged in a way that is most supportive and effective.
- Learn the top 5 communication partner strategies to help every child get the most from communication interactions with an AAC system.
- Explore how to help children learn how to use their communication systems with many people across school, clinic, home, and community settings.
- Discover resources for ongoing collaboration and learning.
Who should attend: Educators, caregivers, Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) and other partners currently supporting a child who uses AAC to communicate
Content level: Beginner to Intermediate (some existing experience using the AAC device or system)
*This workshop is not currently scheduled. Sign up to receive emails about future UW Autism Center workshops.
For more information, please contact us at 1-877-408-UWAC (8922) or email@example.com.