The Honors Program is pleased to make available a direct exchange with the University of Maastricht (UCM) in Maastricht, The Netherlands. UW students will take regular courses (taught in English) across the curriculum with Dutch students.
About Maastricht and the University of Maastricht Honors College
The University of Maastricht Honors College offers a unique problem-based learning method which actively involves small groups of students in creating practical and unique solutions. Maastricht Honors College is ranked as one of the top Dutch universities and attracts students from across Europe and the world.
Maastricht is a beautiful cosmopolitan city located in the south of the Netherlands, 2 1/2 hours by train from Amsterdam, The Hague, and Brussels. The university is located in the heart of the city to the west of the scenic Meuse river. The campus reflects the historic quality of the city, which may be the oldest city in the Netherlands. The city also offers students an array of museums, festivals, parks, and other cultural opportunities.
This exchange program is not restricted to Honors students only. Any eligible UW undergraduate may apply. The program is most appropriate for juniors and seniors with prior international experience who have demonstrated maturity and academic excellence. Honors will screen applicants by paper application and interview advanced candidates.
Outbound UW students pay exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition through the Home Tuition Program for Reciprocal Exchange*
- 1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges
- 3.0 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges
- Students billed via MyUW on regular UW tuition billing schedule
- Students pay housing & additional fees to host institution/housing facility
- All other costs are the responsibility of the participating student including...
- Compulsory international insurance
- All other incidentals
- Students may be eligible to use their regular financial aid and scholarship funds for study abroad, but must verify any and all financial aid prior to committing to the program
- Tuition waivers cannot be used toward study abroad or any direct exchange program, as tuition waivers cannot be used to pay study abroad program fees or exchange tuition equivalent fees
You are responsible for verifying your own financial aid by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid in Schmitz Hall.
*In 1997, the Legislature authorized the "Home Tuition" program as the primary means to fund international student exchanges. Under this program, UW students pay an amount equal to their regular tuition and select fees at the UW, and then study at the foreign host institution tuition-free. The funds paid by the outgoing UW student are then used to cover the tuition costs of the incoming international exchange student.
Exchange students are offered housing in the university's Guesthouse. Students should make reservations as availability is first-come-first-serve. Reservations can be made online at http://www.unimaas.nl/guesthouseum or by phone (+31) 43-346-7210. For more information, visit the UCM Housing webpage.
for Outbound UW Students
- Complete the Honors Direct Exchange Ooutbound Application by posted deadline
- Interview with Honors Direct Exchange Manager(s)
- If nominated, you will receive instructions on how to formally apply to your chosen host institution. Final decision to admit you to the direct exchange program rests with the host institution. Once you receive formal acceptance from them, you will be directly communicating and coordinating your transition abroad with our partner representative abroad.
- Complete all international exchange requirements directed by UW via the International Programs & Exchanges Office (IPE) study abroad site. Once accepted, you will automatically begin to receive email instructions / prompts from IPE regarding this phase of the process related to Concurrent Enrollment Costs & Fees, Study Abroad Insurance, etc.
Deadlines to submit all application materials to the Honors Office:
- Autumn Semester (August - December): February 15
- Spring Semester (January - May): September 15
- UCM website: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Home.htm
- Phone: 31-43-3884882
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact person for incoming exchange students: Ina Engelen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCM application requirements: application form, Student's and Home University Declaration Form, proof of English proficiency
- Language of instruction: English
- Course Catalog
- Grading: A-F
- Tuition waivers CANNOT be applied to direct exchange tuition
- Students must complete 30 credits per semester for a full academic workload
- Academic term is semester system, so students receive 1.5 times the number of credits therefore tuition is charged at 1.5 times the normal rate
- 1 quarter credit ~ 1.33 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System); 15 quarter credits is about 20 ECTS
- UW's Outbound Student Procedures for Departmental Exchanges
- Sample UCM application form (advanced candidates will be notified by Honors if eligible to complete)
- Exchange Leaflet
- ECTS Credit Conversion Chart
- Course Catalog (2010-11)
- UCM Student Handbook (2010-11)
Honors International Exchange Manager
Julie Villegas, email@example.com
About UW Honors - For Inbound Students
The University of Washington Honors Program brings selected faculty into close contact with dedicated students in the atmosphere of small, challenging classes, combining the intimacy and a sense of community of a small, liberal arts college with the strengths of an excellent public research university. The Honors Program offers intellectual and cultural diversity, and world-class faculty and facilities. Honors exchange programs are best suited for students with strong English proficiency.
Students will be exempted from paying UW tuition and fees, but are responsible for covering the cost of tuition at their home institution
Exchange students are eligible to live in university residence halls. Housing costs are the responsibility of the student. For more information visit the UW’s Study Abroad site.
For Inbound International Students
- Complete and submit the online application form for inbound students: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/uwhonors/200679
Create a PDF of your email confirmation and assemble together with the following items to complete your digital application packet:
- A. Transcripts of all college work through the most recent quarter (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- B. Proof of language proficiency (students must pass required TOEL test or provide proof of college level proficiency in English)
- C. Current resumé (maximum one page)
- D. Two letters of recommendation emailed directly to Dr. Julie Villegas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submit entire packet to the UW Honors Program via email: Julie Villegas, email@example.com
Additional information and requirements for inbound exchange student applicants are located on the UW IPE website.
UW Honors application deadline for autumn quarter study is February 1 and for winter and spring terms the deadline is August 1.
The International Programs and Exchanges Office at the UW provides an informational portal for visiting exchange students.
For information about the University of Washington, visit:
For information about the UW Honors Program, visit:
International Student Services Office webpage:
Honors International Exchange Manager: