What We Do
To maximize the experience of postdoctoral fellows at the University of Washington. We are dedicated to enhancing the welfare, and fostering the professional development and career advancement, of the postdoctoral community.
The UW Postdoctoral Association (UWPA) was formed in October 2004. Its formation was inspired by a Howard Hughes Medical Institute-sponsored workshop for postdocs on teaching and mentoring. Strikingly, this retreat offered the first opportunity for many postdocs working within the same department to meet each other.
The University of Washington Postdoctoral Association aims to:
(1) Establish a network
To create an active professional and social network of postdoctoral fellows at the University of Washington and affiliated institutions.
(2) Gain institutional recognition
To establish an Office of Postdoctoral Affairs within the University of Washington administration to gain recognition and support for the UWPA.
(3) Provide professional support
To provide information & services to current postdoctoral fellows by:
- Facilitating knowledge exchange opportunities
- Facilitating career development opportunities
- Enhancing communication between postdoctoral fellows and university administrators, faculty, and students
(4) Enhance welfare
To support current, new and prospective postdoctoral fellows by:
- Providing information and resources, including that specifically for international postdoctoral fellows and postdoctoral parents
- Organizing social events