WA MESA Day
MESA Day is our annual state competition for the MESA School Programs. Student teams compete at MESA Day to test and demonstrate their engineering projects, which they have developed throughout the school year. This year, WA MESA will take place off-line, and in lieu of a MESA Day event, the Washington MESA state office will recognize and honor our students, teachers, and families by hosting the virtual WA MESA Celebration .
2021 Design Challenge – Designing for Equity
The theme for this year’s MESA Day, is Designing for Equity.
Students are invited to identify a type of inequity experienced by individuals or groups. Using the microprocessor as a key component of the design, students will use the design-thinking process re-imagined promoting equality. Student teams must use – Arduino, Circuit Playground, and/or Mirco:bit.
National Engineering Design Competition (NEDC)
WA MESA and NEDC Specifications
Washington MESA Off-Line
Teams seeking to participate in WA MESA Day will submit their materials to Sezi Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org by the Monday, May 10th, 4:00 pm to be scored off-line by a team of judges comprised of industry leaders, MESA alum(s), and at least one WA MESA staff member.
Number of Teams One MS and one HS per school can compete in the WA MESA Day Off-line competition. One middle school and one high school will be selected to advance to the national competition (NEDC).
Team Members Middle Schools Teams of 2 – 4; High Schools Teams of 2 – 4
Materials to Submit Design Brief, Poster, and Prototype Pitch
Due Date Monday, May 10, 2021, by 4:00 pm PT
Examples of Inequity:
- Food insecurity
- Access to healthcare
- Criminal justice system
- Wage inequity
- Environmental injustice
- Digital divide
- Child poverty
1.) Design Brief
2.) Technical Presentation and Interview
3.) Poster and Presentation
4.) Prototype Pitch
Design & Submission Information
- Teams must use the provided Design Brief Template found here.
- Design Briefs must be submitted via PDF. The Design Brief will be scored prior to the Technical Presentation & Interview.
- Design briefs should be sent to Sezi Fleming at email@example.com no later than Monday, May 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm PT.
- Posters must be completed as a single PowerPoint slide with a maximum of 36” x 48” dimensions.
- A PDF version of the poster must be submitted. The Poster will be scored prior to the Technical Presentation & Interview.
- Posters should be sent to Sezi Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, May 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm PT.
- The Prototype Pitch must be submitted via a copy/paste to video from your YouTube, Vimeo, or website. The Prototype Pitch will be scored prior to the Technical Presentation & Interview.
- Prototype Pitch should be sent to Sezi Fleming at email@example.com no later than Monday, May 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm PT
Technical Presentation & Interview
- The Technical Presentation and Interview will be coordinated to take place May 11 – 13, 2021.