- Anderson E. What is the point of equality? Ethics 1999;109(2):287-337.
- Armstrong GL, Conn LA, Pinner RW. Trends in infectious disease mortality in the United States during the 20th century. JAMA 1999;281(1):61-6.
- Arras JD, Fenton EM. Bioethics and human rights: access to health-related goods. Hastings Center Report 2009;39(5):27-38.
- Asada Y. Health Inequality: Morality and Measurement (University of Toronto Press 2007
- Association of Schools of Public Health USA. Available at http://www.whatispublichealth.org/what/index.html, accessed March 14, 2014.
- Bayer R. The ethics of blinded HIV surveillance testing. American Journal of Public Health 1993;83(4): 496-497.
- AIDS, privacy, and responsibility. Daedalus 1989(Summer):79-99.
- Ethical and social policy issues raised by HIV screening: the epidemic evolves and so do the challenges. AIDS 1989;3(3):119-24.
- Bayer R, Moreno JD. Health promotion: ethical and social dilemmas of government policy. Health Affairs 1986;5(2):72-85.
- Bernheim RG, Childress JF, Melnick A, Bonnie RJ. Essentials of Public Health Ethics (Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning 2013).
- Blacksher E. Carrots and sticks to promote healthy behavior: a policy update. Hastings Center Report 2008;38(3):13-16.
- Blacksher E. Children’s health inequalities: ethical and political challenges to seeking social justice. Hastings Center Report 2008;38(4):28-35.
- Blacksher E. Redistribution and Recognition: pursuing social justice in public health. Cambridge Quarterly of Health Care Ethics 2012;21:320-331.
- Brock D. Broadening the bioethics agenda. Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal 2000;10(1):21-38.
Childress JF, Faden RR, Gaare RD, et al. Public health ethics: mapping the terrain. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics 2002;30: 170-178.
- Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health, Final Report. Geneva: World Health Organization 2008.
- Daniels N. Four unresolved rationing problems: a challenge. Hastings Center Report 1994;24(4):27-29.
- Daniels N, Sabin J. The ethics of accountability in managed care reform. Health Affairs 1998;17(5): 50-64.
- Daniels N. Just Health (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2008).
- Dankwa-Mullen et al. Moving toward paradigm-shifting research in health disparities through translational, and transdisciplinary approaches. American Journal of Public Health 2010;100:S19-S24.
- Fraser N, Honneth A. Redistribution or Recognition: A Political-Philosophical Exchange. New York: Verso 2003.
- Frieden TR, Dietz W, Collins J. Reducing childhood obesity through policy change: acting now to prevent obesity. Health Affairs 2010;29(3):357-363.
- Frohlich KL, Potvin L. The inequality paradox: The population approach and vulnerable populations. American Journal of Public Health 2008;98(2):1–6.
- Geiger HJ. Racial and ethnic disparities in diagnosis and treatment: A review of the evidence and a consideration of cause. In: Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR, eds. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare. Washington, D.C.: Institute of Medicine 2003.
- Hurst SA. Just care: should doctors give priority to patients of low socioeconomic status? Journal of Medical Ethics 2009;35:7-11.
- Institute of Medicine. The Future of Public Health Washington D.C.: The National Academies Press 1988.
- Israel B, et al. Review of community-based research: assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annual Review of Public Health 1998;19:173-202.
- Jones CP, Jones CY, Perry GS, Barclay G. Addressing the social determinants of children’s health: a cliff analogy. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 2009;20(4):1-12.
- Kass N. An ethics framework for public health. American Journal of Public Health 2001;91(11): 1776-1782.
- Link BG, Phelan JC. Social conditions as fundamental causes of disease. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 1995; extra issue:80-94.
- Link BG. Epidemiological sociology and the social shaping of population health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 2008;49:367-84.
- Mackenbach JP, Politics is nothing but medicine at a larger scale: reflections on public health’s biggest idea. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2009;63(3):181-184.
- Marchand S, Wikler D, Landesman B. Class, Health, and Justice. Milbank Quarterly 1998;76(3):449-67.
Marmot MG, Bell R. Action on Health Disparities in the United States: Commission on Social Determinants of Health. JAMA 2009;301(11):1169-1171.
- McGinnis JM, P. Williams-Russo, and J.R. Knickman, The Case for More Active Policy Attention to Health Promotion. Health Affairs 2002;21(2):78-93.
- Mechanic D. Disadvantage, inequality, and social policy. Health Affairs 2002;21(2):48-59.
- Mill JS (1859) On Liberty. In: Collini S, ed. On Liberty and Other Essays. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1989, p. 13.
- Murtagh L, Ludwig DS. State intervention in life-threatening childhood obesity. JAMA 2011;306(2):206-207.
Nuffield Council on Bioethics. Public Health: Ethical Issues. London: Nuffield Council on Bioethics 2007. Available at: http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/go/ourwork/publichealth/introduction
- Opel DJ et al. Characterizing providers’ immunization communication practices during health supervision visits with vaccine-hesitant parents: a pilot study. Vaccine. 2012 Feb 8:30(7)1269-75.
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (2012) Obesity update 2012. http://www.oecd.org/health/49716427.pdf, accessed March 14, 2014.
- Pearson SD, Lieber SR. Financial penalties for the unhealthy? Ethical guidelines for holding employees responsible for their health. Health Affairs 2009;28(3):845-852.
- Pellegrino ED. Health promotion as public policy: the need for moral groundings. Preventive Medicine 1981;10:371-78.
- Powers M, Faden R. Social Justice: The Moral Foundation of Public Health and Health Policy. New York: Oxford University Press 2006.
- Public health, ethics, and equity, eds. Anand S, Peter F, Sen A. (Oxford University Press 2006).
- Reiser SJ. Responsibility for personal health: a historical perspective. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 1985;10(1):7-17.
- Rifkin S. Health planning and community participation. World Health Forum 1986;7(2):156-162.
- Roberts MJ, Reich MR. Ethical analysis in public health. Lancet 2002;359: 1055-1059.
- Robertson A, Minkler M. New health promotion movement: a critical examination. Health Education Quarterly 1994;21(3):295-312.
- Robertson A. Critical reflections on the politics of need: implications for public health. Social Science Medicine 1998;47(10):1419-1430.
- Upshur REG. Principles for the justification of public health intervention. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2002;93(2):101-103.
- Wallerstein N, Bernstein E. Introduction to community empowerment, participatory education and health. Health Education Quarterly 1994;21(2):141-148.
- Wallerstein, N. What is the evidence on effectiveness of empowerment to improve health?, Health Evidence Network Reports, 2006. WHO REgional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, DK.
- Wallerstein N, Duran B. Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: the intersection of science and practice to improve health equity. American Journal of Public Health 2010;100:S40-S46.
- Wikler DI. Persuasion and coercion for health: ethical issues in government efforts to change life-styles. Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly Health and Society 1978;56(3):303-38.
- Wikler D, “Personal and Social Responsibility for Health,” in Public health, ethics, and equity, eds. Anand S, Peter F, Sen A (Oxford University Press 2006), p. 115.
- Williams DR, et al. Moving upstream: how interventions that address the social determinants can improve health and reduce disparities. Journal of Public Health Management Practice 2008;Supplement:S8-S17.
- Wilson J (2009) Towards a Normative Framework for Public Health Ethics and Policy. Public Health Ethics 2(2): 184-194.
- Woolf SH, Braveman P. Where health disparities begin: the role of social and economic determinants-And why current policies may make matters worse. Health Affairs 2011;30(10):1852-5.
- World Medical Association. World Medical Association Statement on Health Promotion 1995. Available at: http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/healthpromotion.html, accessed March 14, 2014.
- Yarborough et al. Relationships hold the key to trustworthy and productive translational science: recommendations for expanding community engagement in biomedical research. Clinical Translational Science 2012;6:310-313.
- Young IM. Justice and the Politics of Difference. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press 1990.