Consider each medical condition and its proposed treatment. Ask the following questions:
- Does it fulfill any of the goals of medicine?
- With what likelihood?
- If not, is the proposed treatment futile?
Address the following:
- What does the patient want?
- Does the patient have the capacity to decide? If not, who will decide for the patient?
- Do the patient's wishes reflect a process that is
|Quality of Life:
- Describe the Patient's quality of life in the patient's terms.
- What is the patient's subjective acceptance of likely quality of life?
- What are the views of the care providers about the quality of life?
- Is quality of life "less than minimal?" (i.e., qualitative futility)
Social, legal, economic,and institutional circumstances in the case that can:
e.g., inability to pay for treatment; inadequate social support
- influence the decision
- be influenced by the decision