Prof. Matthew F. Bush
University of Washington | Department of Chemistry | Box 351700 | Seattle, WA 98195-1700
email@example.com | http://depts.washington.edu/bushlab/ | ORCID
- Matt Bush pursued his Ph.D. from 2003-2008 with Evan Williams and Richard Saykally at the University of California, Berkeley. During that time he used infrared laser spectroscopy and Fourier-transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry to investigate zwitterion formation in gas-phase biomolecules and the structural effects of hydration on biomolecular and multiply charged ions. This training in high-performance mass spectrometry and physical chemistry laid the ground work for his continued pursuits using gas-phase techniques to investigate the structures and interactions of biomolecules. In 2008 he joined the laboratory of Carol Robinson FRS DBE at the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford, during which time he was a Waters Research Fellow, a Junior Research Fellow of Jesus College, University of Oxford, and developed experimental and analytical frameworks for using ion mobility mass spectrometry experiments to accurately characterize the structures of drug-like molecules, peptides, and protein complexes. He joined the chemistry faculty at the University of Washington in 2011, where he is also a member of the Biological Physics, Structure and Design Program and the Molecular Engineering & Sciences Institute. His research group is focused on developing mass spectrometry based approaches for elucidating the structures, assembly, and dynamics of protein complexes. His group applies these approaches to a wide range of biological systems, including those involved in bacterial secretion, regulating protein degradation, and protein homeostasis.
Previous Positions & Education
- Waters Research Fellow | University of Oxford | UK | Advisor: Prof. Carol V. Robinson FRS DBE | 2010–2011
- Postdoctoral Research Associate | University of Cambridge | UK | Advisor: Prof. Carol V. Robinson | 2008–2009
- Ph.D. | Chemistry | University of California | Berkeley | Advisors: Prof. Evan R. Williams & Prof. Richard J. Saykally | 2003-2008
- B.A. | Chemistry | Carleton College | Northfield | MN | 1999-2003
- Eli Lilly Young Investigator Award in Analytical Chemistry | 2014 | Information
- Sloan Research Fellow | Alfred P. Sloan Foundation | 2014 | Information
- Research Award | American Society for Mass Spectrometry | 2013 | Information
- Junior Research Fellow | Jesus College | University of Oxford | UK | 2010–2011
- Waters Research Fellow | 2010–2011
- Co-author of 50 peer-reviewed publications.
- >2900 citations | H-Index = 31 | Google Scholar
- See lists of recent and earlier publications.
Professional Service (selected)
- Advancing Mass Spectrometry for Biophysics Conference. Board (2015–present) | Information
- Long-Term Planning Committee, Division of Analytical Chemistry, American Chemical Society (2015–2018)
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry
- Asilomar Committee (2015–2017)
- Fall Workshop Co-Organizer (2014)
- Ion Mobility MS Interest Group Coordinator (2012–2014)