Do you enjoy walking on the beach? Are you interested in learning more about the marine natural resources in your area? Want to play an active role in marine conservation? Become a COASST volunteer!
COASST will provide you with all the supplies to need to get started. COASST staff will be available via phone and email to answer all of your questions. We’ll keep you up to date on COASST happenings and results through COASST Reports, our annual report, and COASSTLine, our occasional newsletter.
It takes a team—especially on those outer coast beaches—to process all the birds.
- Attend a 6-hour COASST training session in your area (see the schedule of upcoming training sessions below). At the interactive, hands-on training session you will learn how seabirds, and particularly beached birds, fit into marine conservation, be introduced to bird identification using Beached Birds: A COASST Field Guide, have the opportunity to try out your ID skills, and learn everything you need to know about how to conduct a COASST survey.
- Sign the COASST contract, agreeing to survey the beach of your choice every month.
- Pay a small deposit for a copy of Beached Birds and the other survey supplies.
- Head out to the beach and start surveying!
Small debris is surveyed in .25m squared quadrats according to beach zone.
- RSVP and attend a 4-hour COASST marine debris pilot training session in your area (see the schedule of upcoming training sessions below). At the interactive, hands-on training session you will learn what characteristics of marine debris can tell us about its impacts on marine environments and everything you need to know about how to conduct a marine debris survey and provide feedback to help us improve the program.
- Survey small, medium and large debris two times per month through March 2015
- Share your feedback with COASST via e-mail or phone
- During the pilot period, receive and try new versions of materials that reflect collective pilot-participant feedback
Don't see an upcoming training session in your area? If you can drum up a few other interested folks, we’d be happy to schedule one—please contact us! Interested, but can’t make it to the training session? Let us know and we’ll try to set you up with informal training from one of the current COASSTers in your area to get you started.