HIV Replication Cycle
Steps in the HIV Replication Cycle
1. Fusion of the HIV cell to the host cell surface
2. HIV RNA, reverse transcriptase, integrase, and other viral proteins enter the host cell
3. Viral DNA is formed by reverse transcriptase
4. Viral DNA is transported across the nucleus and integrates into the host DNA
5. New viral RNA is used as genomic RNA and to make viral proteins
6. New viral RNA and proteins move to cell surface and a new, immature, HIV virus forms.
7. The virus matures by protease releasing individual HIV proteins.