Which languages are taught where in our state?
This is the question that the MELL (Mapping and Enhancing Language Learning) project at the University of Washington is seeking to answer. Building on the data originally collected in the World Language Survey of 2004, conducted by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), the Washington Association for Language Teaching (WAFLT), and the Washington State Coalition for International Education, the MELL project is making it possible for the state to expand on that original report and create both a snapshot and trend reports over time.
We invite you to take a closer look at what we've learned so far by visiting our website:
- Surveys: Link to the current MELL survey or view school profiles from the surveys submitted
- Data: View language-specific data from surveys submitted each year
- Maps: View the distribution of MELL data by County
- Reports: Download MELL policy briefs and reports with in-depth analysis of the data
- Events: Learn about events that MELL is cosponsoring to enhance language learning
Since 2006, four National Resource Centers at the University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies have received funding from the U.S. Department of Education for an ongoing project entitled "Mapping and Enhancing Language Learning" (MELL) in Washington state. The collection of data, produced through a collaborative effort of the UW Jackson School of International Studies, UW Language Learning Center, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, Washington State Coalition for International Education, and Washington Association For Language Teaching (WAFLT), represents a significant effort to help us get a better picture of what languages students are currently learning in our K-12 schools and community language programs.
MELL Steering Committee
- Michele Anciaux Aoki, PhD, MELL Project Manager, International Education Administrator, Seattle Public Schools
- Paul K. Aoki, PhD, Director of the UW Language Learning Center
- Tess Ames, Managing Director, Center for West European Studies, The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
- Tamara Leonard, Managing Director of the Center for Global Studies, The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
- Phil Lyon, Managing Director, Ellison Center for Russian, East European and Central Asian Studies, The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
- Kristi Roundtree, Managing Director of the East Asia Center, The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
If you have any questions, please contact: Tamara Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org
MELL c/o UW Language Learning Center | Denny Hall 162 Box 353140 | Seattle, WA 98195 | email@example.com