Which languages are taught where in our state?
This is the question that the MELL (Mapping and Enhancing Language Learning) project at the University of Washington is seeking to answer. Building on the data originally collected in the World Language Survey of 2004, conducted by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), the Washington Association for Language Teaching (WAFLT), and the Washington State Coalition for International Education, the MELL project is making it possible for the state to expand on that original report and create both a snapshot and trend reports over time.
We invite you to take a closer look at what we've learned so far by visiting our website:
- Surveys: Link to the current MELL survey or view school profiles from the surveys submitted
- Data: View language-specific data from surveys submitted each year
- Maps: View the distribution of MELL data by County
- Reports: Download MELL policy briefs and reports with in-depth analysis of the data
- Events: Learn about events that MELL is cosponsoring to enhance language learning
Four National Resource Centers at the University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies received funding in 2006 from the U.S. Department of Education to launch a four-year project entitled "Mapping and Enhancing Language Learning" (MELL) in Washington state. The online survey, produced through a collaborative effort of the UW Jackson School of International Studies, UW Language Learning Center, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, Washington State Coalition for International Education, and Washington Association For Language Teaching (WAFLT), represents a first step to help us get a better picture of what languages students are currently learning in our K-12 schools and community language programs. The MELL project received funding in 2010 for an additional four years.
MELL Steering Committee
- Steven Pfaff, PhD, Director, Center for West European Studies of the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies
- Paul K. Aoki, PhD, Director of the UW Language Learning Center
- Sara Curran, PhD, Director of the Center for Global Studies of the Jackson School of International Studies
- Scott Radnitz, PhD, Director of the Herbert J. Ellison Center for Russian, East European and Central Asian Studies
- William Lavely, PhD, Director of the East Asia Center of the Jackson School of International Studies
- Michele Anciaux Aoki, PhD, MELL Project Manager, World Languages Program Supervisor, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
MELL c/o UW Language Learning Center | Denny Hall 108 Box 353140 | Seattle, WA 98195 | firstname.lastname@example.org