Home > Reports
One of the goals of the MELL project is to analyze data collected from the annual surveys of schools. During the spring of 2008, MELL hired a graduate research assistant, Debbie Warnock, to conduct a statistical analysis of the MELL survey data. Policy Briefs #2, #3, and #4 are a result of her analysis. Policy Brief #5 was researched by Sue Webber, a retired teacher of German and past president of the Washington Association for Language Teaching. Policy Brief #8 was researched by two students working for the UW Language Learning Center in Summer, 2009. Our thanks to editor, Aysha Haq, and graphic designer, Richard Thornton, for the final production of these reports.
- Policy Brief #9 Spring, 2012: Online Language Learning Through the Digital Learning Department | PDF
- Policy Brief #8 Winter, 2010: Languages Taught in Washington's High Schools and Community Colleges | PDF
- Policy Brief #7 Winter, 2010: Mapping Languages Taught in Washington High Schools -- 2009 | PDF
- Policy Brief #6 Winter, 2010: Trends in High School Language Offerings 2004-2007-2009 | PDF
- Policy Brief #5 Fall, 2008: Taking a Closer Look at High Schools that Offer German | PDF
- Policy Brief #4 Fall, 2008: Mapping Languages Taught in Washington High Schools | PDF
- Policy Brief #3 Fall, 2008: Explaining a High School's Likelihood of Offering World Languages | PDF
- Policy Brief #2 Summer, 2008: Taking a Closer Look at High Schools that Don't Offer World Languages | PDF
- Policy Brief #1 Winter, 2008: Establishing an Understanding of World Language Teaching Trends in Washington | PDF
We have also reported on the MELL Project through a series of articles in other publications:
Washington State Kappan Journal Fall 2007 (PDF)
New journal of the Washington State Chapter of Phi Delta Kappa.
See article "World Languages: State of the State"
WES Northwest Fall 2007 Newsletter (PDF)
Newsletter of the University of Washington Center for West European Studies and the European Union Center of Excellence of the Jackson School of International Studies. See article "The MELL Program."
We have presented on the MELL Project at workshops and conferences:
Dual Immersion Summit in Vancouver, WA October 11, 2012
- MELL Update Dual Immersion Survey - Presentation by Marta Mikkelsen from the University of Washington
presentation | handout
- View other Summit resources at: http://www.k12.wa.us/WorldLanguages/DualImmersion.aspx.
WAFLT Conference in Pasco, WA October 15, 2011
- Mapping & Enhancing Language Learning (MELL) Update
main presentation | presentation on indigenous languages | handout
WAFLT/COFLT Joint Conference in Vancouver, WA October 10, 2008
- Predicting Languages Taught in Washington High Schools | PPT | PDF
- MELL County Maps | PPT | PDF
American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA April 2009
- At A Loss For Language: Factors Determining World Language Instruction In Washington's High Schools | PDF
presented by Debbie Warnock